Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station keeps going offline

ehouse11
Tutor
Tutor

Just recently, within the last 2 weeks the base unit (in 2 separate locations) keeps going offline. Is there a system issue that is not being addressed??? This is really frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for all your feedback while we worked to resolve this issue. This "you are not connected to the internet" issue  should now be resolved. 

Note: you can monitor the status here Arlo Status 

View solution in original post

199 REPLIES 199
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Here we go again: VMB4000r3, 4 Arlo Pro cameras, one Arlo Essentials Floodlight Camera, monthly subscription for the package.

A few days ago the app started asking me to login but I get the red banner at the top of the phone screen telling me I'm NOT connected to the internet. Great. Clear app cache, force stop, try again it works. For a day. Then it starts over again.

Of course, it works fine from the web interface.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Which version of the Arlo app are you using?

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

2.22.7_28285  12/18/2020

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the information. The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

timlush
Initiate
Initiate

Similar issue which has own reported 24.12.2020 but as yet no resolution

Very frustrating that I have had limited functionality now for almost 3 weeks!

App states Base Station and All Camera Offline, but Camera still working via HomeKit

Rebooted, still the same issue

IOS App Version 2.22.6

Bah0482
Apprentice
Apprentice

i am still having this issue as well. happens every morning when i leave the geofencing area. must force close and sign back in. they closed the other thread saying it was solved. it is not. and yes i have the latest version of the app

anacares2
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all, does anyone know if the error that recently has started in Arlo app can be fixed?
Error: You are not connected to the internet. Please check your connections.
I do have internet, mobile data, I am out of my house, so of course I am not connected to Wifi, Arlo app was selected to use mobile data for when wifi is not available. I am able to go in google, Instagram, facebook, etc...but Arlo just keep displaying this error.

I can go ahead and changed to always use mobile data....like even when I am on wifi, but I do not want that. I want the app to use wifi when is available and mobile data when wifi is not available, like many of the other apps on my phone do.
Why is this so hard for the Arlo app?
I have looked over support page, and honestly they don't have anything related to this issue. I have seen Arlo moderator on this subject saying go to Arlo support, but does not really help =(
Even Arlo customer service doesn't understand this error.
Any chance that there is an IT guru that is not part of Arlo, and can help in this matter honestly?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're the first person I know of that has the issue with cell service - in the past, including for me, it's been seemingly a WiFi issue. What's fixed it for me has been to toggle WiFi off and back on so I guess that's a possibility. If that helps, I suppose the issue could be with the app getting connection info. However, there's nothing we can do other than to use the Contact Support link at the bottom here to raise awareness.

mpulkkinen
Star
Star

I'm having exatcly same issue for a while now. No matter if I use wlan or 4G, same error message always. it works for one time after reboot, then next time it always says that I'm not connected to internet, which is faulty error message, since I am connected to interbet and everything else works... This is a showstopper bug!!! So get your hands dirty and fix this asap!!!

olegos76
Guide
Guide

Same thing here. Pops up when connected on WiFi.

Version installed: 2.23_28305

Workaround: 

Turn off Wifi (phone automatically switches to 4G)

Turn Wifi back on.

mpulkkinen
Star
Star
Yeah, I had to log out before that workaround worked, nyt thanks for the tip
Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same thing here & it started in early January. I've started a CASE with ARLO & they have demanded a heap of things including "Place of purchase & receipt", on a unit I brought 3 years ago. Mind you, I've already established this years ago. 

ARLO is fast becoming a joke here in the land down under & it's obvious the problem is ARLO'S with the number of users complaining.

Also the ZOOM & DRAG has also stopped in the last couple of days. Check that to my fellow ARLO users.

Here's the list of demands ARLO want before they will talk. -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to gather additional information so that we can proceed accordingly:

• What is the brand and model of the mobile device used to access the account?
• What is the operating system version of mobile device/tablet or iPad?
• What is the firmware version of the devices?
• What is the Arlo App version?
• What is the brand of the router or modem?
• Is the base station connected to the router/modem or an extender?
• What is the distance of the device from the router/modem?
• Is there any obstruction between the device and the router/modem?
• How many devices are connected to the network?
• Who is your ISP provider?
• What is your internet speed? (Upload and download)
1. Access http://www.speedtest.net/ by Ookla.
2. Click on GO or begin test.
3. Please indicate your upload and download speeds.
4. Kindly attach a screenshot.

Furthermore, please provide the following information for verification:

• Phone number associated to the Arlo account.
• Serial number of the affected device.
• Place (name of the store) and date of purchase.
• Shipping address (P.O box is not applicable).
• Proof of purchase. (Screenshot/photo of invoice or receipt).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mpulkkinen
Star
Star
Hah, that list is completely ridiculous and needless. I'm a software developer with 12 years of exp, dome mobile also, and only thing really needed is a logs from the device and short description of the problem. It that does not help, devs ask for more information or add additional logging and wait for it to happen again 😄
Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly my thoughts mpulkkinen.

Most people these days can either fix basic issues with computers or know a 14-year old kid down the road that can.

These problems with ARLO have been rising steadily over the past 16 months & it all started when ARLO dumped (if my memory serves me correct) flashplayer or something similar.

Like I've said on half a dozen threads, I've never had a problem with these camera's in the first 2 years of owning them. They were fantastic........but these Boat Anchors for the last 16 months or so have been problem after problem, after problem.

Arlo, you're either not paying your maintenance workers enough or they haven't got a clue.

We've paid good money in good faith so please either fix these problems permanently or I'll go find my receipts & you can refund my $2000......& I'll gladly walk away.

ELEL
Initiate
Initiate

Having the same problem as described on this thread.  Getting red banner message "You are not connected to the Internet. Please check your connection" at login screen.  Problem started in January 2021.  Reinstalled the app with the latest version: 2.23_28305.  Rebooted the base station & phone, cleared cache, but nothing has helped. I've owned Arlo cameras for over 3 years, and haven't seen this problem in a while.  Was hoping that Arlo would've resolved this issue quickly without me having to post a complaint, but here I am.  It's been weeks and no security cameras.  I've been in IT for over 25+ years, and if our service was down for this long, we'd be out of business.  Seriously, perhaps filing a Class-Action Lawsuit would help things move along.

Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

For the last 3 days, the red banner message...."You are not connected to the Internet"....is still happening.

The reason I invested into these cameras is because they worked. That is not the case now as they are very unreliable. You can't rely on them for your life now.

Admin & those who are experiencing the same issues I'm finding the "Centre Green Light" on the base station constantly blink "in-time" & it doesn't matter what you do like - Reset the base or Reset the modern, it doesn't make a difference.

Due to the number of complaints, it appears the problem is not the consumers.

Can you please fix as it's now been over a month and nothing has changed. Not good enough.

mpulkkinen
Star
Star
For me, this issue has mysteriously gone away for now so least. What I did: rebooted phone and when the trees banner appeared next time, I clicked Sign out and then signed back in. When I did this, I was in the same network as the arlo base, not sure if it has anything to do with it
Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, I experienced a similar scenario & thought it may have been solved......but it only lasted a week before returning again.

mpulkkinen
Star
Star
Hah, it did not last long for me either. So it seems to work on my home network, but outside that, it does not. Actually, before the red banner thing came, there used to be message "your geolocation is different, need to login again" or something, I haven't seen that for awhile
Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

HI mpulkkinen

If you go into "SETTINGS", then go to the bottom of the page, you can turn your base station on/off through your computer/app..............But you can't do it when the RED BANNER sign comes up as the base is not connected to the NET.

So I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to buy a "SMART-SWITCH" that I can put in the powerpoint & then plug the base into that. That way I can turn the base-station off through a 3rd-party app on the phone.

My friends & Family will all laugh at me when I tell them how I have to operate my Home-Camera system & I gather they'll all stay clear of the brand ARLO.

mpulkkinen
Star
Star

Hmm, I think I rebooted the base also and as far as I know, it is connected to internet since I can access it with my work computer using firefox just fine (even from different network). So it's just the mobile app that sucks big time... EDIT: nvm, yes, I can access the portal but none of the cameras work, so maybe it's the base after all... ANYONE FROM ALRO, CARE TO PITCH IN TO THIS CONVERSATION? 😄

Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

It doesn't matter with me. If the Base-Station turns itself off then it won't work on either Mob/Computer unless you turn off the base-station........That's why I'm going to buy a SMART-SWITCH & place it between the power-point & base-station. Sounds stupid but it's going to be the only way to turn this piece of s&@# on when I'm not present. 

Joke........What's the difference between a boat anchor and ARLO? Nothing, as they both sink.

mpulkkinen
Star
Star

I have couple of remote power switches also, gonna try your method, thanks for the tip. Workflow is just awesome:

1. Get notification that camera has detected something

2. You open you smart home app, turn off the power for the arlo

3. Wait a few seconds, turn back on

4. Wait for the arlo to come back online

5. See the tailights of the burglar's van dissappearing into the night with your gear in the trunk

😄

Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm hearing you......& that's what I'm worried about.

It feels like to me that ARLO (who never comment on our frustration) are not supporting those that put them on the map when they first released these camera's EARLY on......as we brought these original units 3 to 5 years ago and helped spread the word.

Maybe if they want us to go away they should offer us a 50% discount on their latest systems. Sure.......I totally understand that technology advances quickly so our systems will eventually become obsolete, but we won't go away or our stories to Friends & family.....so what about some kind of locality exchange which will improve the final outcome when technology takes over.

We could nominate a store, drop off our old systems & then we'd purchase the latest system with the discount.

Is anybody listening????