Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo2-What is the maximum length of cable that I can use to power camera outdoors?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
MagicScissors
Aspirant
Aspirant
I need to power an outdoor camera. It is about 20’ from base station in a bee line. I will need to use about 40’ of cable to power this. I cannot install electricity on the outside of the building, so I have to use a longer usb cable. I know that they become problematic after 25 feet, but It seems that they use a dual voltage at the dc transformer that gets plugged in, and this higher voltage may be similar to a doorbell voltage, so would a longer cable get the job done? Doorbells can use a light gauge wire, similar to the cable that comes with the cameras. Someone else purchased this system for our commercial business, but if we need to spend money to run electricity to the parking lot, this will end up costing more than the system. If we go through these electrical upgrades, we should just upgrade the cameras too. This system seems to be geared to residential applications. We cannot run extension cords everywhere; nor should we daisy chain usb cables to power these things, or use a 40' microUSB style cable. If we are going to run lines, we should use a camera that requires 1 wire that encapsulates power and data. Why use WiFi if we need to run a line anyway?? I am of the belief that we do not need 24/7 monitoring anyway. The system has been working fine by motion triggers. A hair salon will not be attacked by ninjas. A blowing paper bag could set these off. Is there something that I am missing? A magical 'Johnson Box'? If a third-party USB cable will not work with these, than this is all moot. Arlo does not sell 40’ cables, and Amazon has a 30’ version in which some people are having problems of compatibility and not necessarily function. It seems the Arlo cameras require a particular compliance from their accessories. What is the bast way to power a camera that requires 40’ of cable so we can plug them into an interior outlet? Any information is appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

No, you did not say you required the CVR plan in your original post.

The battery in this solar kit will power the camera, same as it was plugged into the wall, and will allow you to enable the CVR option.  https://www.voltaicsystems.com/17-watt-kit  However, you would need to put the battery in a waterprooof enclosure, and it still wouldn't charge below 32F.

Bottom line: Arlo is not the best choice for commercial applications requiring 24/7 recording. I don't think it was intended for that either.  You'd be better off with a set of hardwaired PoE cameras, a PC, and compatible video recording software.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Sounds like the solar panel would be a good option for you.

MagicScissors
Aspirant
Aspirant
But the solar panel only charges the battery. It does not function as a power source. The only way to have 24/7 is to have the camera attached to ac power. Solar is the equivalent of battery. Moreover, I am in the northeast. We have multiple weeks below 32 degree weather. The operating temp for solar panel stops at 32 degrees. Even if I had the solar panel, I would have to recharge them by hand during the winter. Moreover, the only outdoor cable that Arlo sells is 8.5 feet long, so by their standards, if I want to setup an external camera, I need an outlet next to wherever I place my camera outside. Their longer cables are not for outdoor weather. Basically, if one does not have an outlet in obscure places, then the PRO2 cameras are not recommended. Most outdoor outlets are in places that are practical. One does not have an electrical outlet in the upper corner of a building. Basically, I would have to have outlets installed. This defeats the purpose of WiFi because WiFi provides one freedom of placement. If I have to run a professional installed line, I might as well run a line for a video feed too. Hardwired is better than WiFi everyday of the week. These PRO2 cameras do not seem practical in commercial buildings. If I spend the money to run electric then I will just get a better camera setup. We are just a small shop. I don’t know what an actual business would do if 24/7 security was actually part of their business model. Ie Police Stations/ construction sites. As a practical matter, would they even use Arlo knowing that they need to be plugged in order to have 24/7 recording? It almost becomes illogical to use Arlo if you have to run lines. Running a line defeats the logic of WiFi. If you are going to run a line, then run one for a feed too. Or am I missing a component in the logic of this system? The person who purchased this system did so for the 24/7 recording of the parking lot and pedestrian areas. We do not have anywhere to plug these in outside, and with an 8.5’ option of power cord, electrical outlet placement needs to be where the cameras will be, and builders do not put outlets 12’ off of the ground by default. These boxes would need to be installed. Plus, we have a landlord that would need to approve the installation, so anyone that rents space has another hurdle to achieve 24/7 outdoor monitoring. Unless, there is a piece of the puzzle that I am missing?? Thanks for the reply!!!
MagicScissors
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry if I was not clear. We got this system in order to have 24/7 recording for the parking lot area and advanced storage features. The cameras require ac power to have the capabilities. We cannot add outlets to outside so our only option seems to be to run a really long USB cable so they can be powered by an outlet indoors. Moreover, the all-weather cameras that are the PRO2, do not come with all-weather cables to plug them in. Even, if a 40’ cable is a solution, I need to find an all weather version of one for this setup. Thanks for your attention and help!
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

No, you did not say you required the CVR plan in your original post.

The battery in this solar kit will power the camera, same as it was plugged into the wall, and will allow you to enable the CVR option.  https://www.voltaicsystems.com/17-watt-kit  However, you would need to put the battery in a waterprooof enclosure, and it still wouldn't charge below 32F.

Bottom line: Arlo is not the best choice for commercial applications requiring 24/7 recording. I don't think it was intended for that either.  You'd be better off with a set of hardwaired PoE cameras, a PC, and compatible video recording software.

MagicScissors
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks st_shaw!!! This is what I thought. I have to convince the person who bought these that 24/7 is a hardware and facilities upgrade that will cost a bit more. Moreover, the triggering works great on these. We do not need to record a quiet, motionless parking lot. I will check out your link. You were very helpful. Thanks Much!!!
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

If you are happy with the motion triggering and do not need the 24/7 CVR plan, then the solar panel should work for you. The battery should stay charged unless the temperature stays below 32F for weeks at a time.

MagicScissors
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok, that is good to know. We have 2 indoor cameras and 2 outdoor. The solar panel will definitely work with the other outdoor camera. It is the most distant camera and seems to need a charge more often than the other outdoor camera. Yet, it is close to an indoor outlet, so ai may be able to ac power this camera from internal outlet with 20’ cable. This has the worst reception, yet closest to ac power. The camera that this post is about has a bee line sight access through 1 big window, yet, by linear distance of wire is about 40’. I need to go across a 20’ overhang then down a 10’ wall, and then across another 10’ to an outlet, but it has great reception! Lol. I will play with base station locations and maybe get a WiFi extender. I will check out the battery pack link you sent me. I just needed to be sure that the 24/7 option that my coworker insists on having is overkill and is a bit more than plug-n-play. Thanks again!!! 👍
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation