Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 2 videos not playing. Getting error "This video is not able to play in your browser."

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
PrinceofAuburn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Error message "This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view." keeps popping up while trying to view videos on Chrome (or new Chrome based Edge) on up to date Win 10 Pro. Problem is intermittent, not all videos error out. Some videos play, some stop immediately and some stop after ~5 seconds. Videos download just fine and are playable on VLC, etc. They play just fine on Android phone. Devices are Pro2, HW Version-H4, Serial Number-5JX1877RB7B3C, Firmware-1.125.13.0_31717.  Have installed HEVC extensions.

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PrinceofAuburn wrote:

Devices are Pro2, HW Version-H4 ... Firmware-1.125.13.0_31717.  Have installed HEVC extensions.

The Pro2 doesn't use HEVC compression, it uses H.264/AVC.  Have you tried disabling those extensions?  You might also try disabling hardware acceleration in the browser, and see if that makes a difference.

I am thinking the most likely cause is that there is some video corruption (due to dropped packets on the camera->base link).  Various decoders handle that loss differently, and hardware decoders generally handle it poorly.

PrinceofAuburn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestions.

I disabled hardware acceleration in the browser.  This helps quite a bit, but does not completely solve the problem.  I cannot find how to disable H.264/AVC extension.  I believe you are on the right track about dropped packets.  I do not have a good option for moving the base to help ameliorate packet loss.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PrinceofAuburn wrote:

I disabled hardware acceleration in the browser.  This helps quite a bit, but does not completely solve the problem.  I cannot find how to disable H.264/AVC extension.  

H.264 is natively supported (browsers do have built-in software decoders that they will use if hardware acceleration isn't enabled).

@PrinceofAuburn wrote:

I believe you are on the right track about dropped packets.  I do not have a good option for moving the base to help ameliorate packet loss.

How far is the camera from the base?

Also, how far is the base from your router?  If it is right next to the router, try moving it as far away as the ethernet cable will stretch.

One option for getting ethernet to the base is to use two powerline networking adapters (for instance Netgear PLP1200s).

PrinceofAuburn
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is a two story house.  All cameras are outdoors.  4 of the 5 cameras have constant power.  The router is upstairs in the center of the house.  The base station is downstairs, directly below the router connected by a Cat 5 cable.  The cameras are:

1.  ~20 ft, line of sight, door blocking transmission.  Direct power.

2.  ~30 ft, two interior sheet rock walls and one brick wall blocking transmission.  Battery power.  Does not usually have problems with playback.

3.  ~40 ft, windows/brick wall combination blocking transmission.  Direct power.

4.  ~50 ft, windows/brick wall combination blocking transmission.  Direct power.

5.  ~65 ft, windows/brick wall combination blocking transmission.  Direct power.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PrinceofAuburn wrote:

It is a two story house.  All cameras are outdoors.  4 of the 5 cameras have constant power.  The router is upstairs in the center of the house.  The base station is downstairs, directly below the router connected by a Cat 5 cable.  The cameras are:

1.  ~20 ft, line of sight, door blocking transmission.  Direct power.

2.  ~30 ft, two interior sheet rock walls and one brick wall blocking transmission.  Battery power.  Does not usually have problems with playback.

3.  ~40 ft, windows/brick wall combination blocking transmission.  Direct power.

4.  ~50 ft, windows/brick wall combination blocking transmission.  Direct power.

5.  ~65 ft, windows/brick wall combination blocking transmission.  Direct power.

Thanks, this is useful.

Are all the powered cameras giving you corrupted recordings?  If not, which ones are giving you trouble?

PrinceofAuburn
Aspirant
Aspirant

All cameras give corrupted playback to one degree or another.  The battery powered camera is probably the best, but is also the least used with the shortest recordings.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PrinceofAuburn wrote:

All cameras give corrupted playback to one degree or another.  The battery powered camera is probably the best, but is also the least used with the shortest recordings.

If the base is right next to the router, then try moving it further away (as far as the ethernet cable will reach).  There can be wifi interference if they are too close together.

I'd also try switching one of the AC powered cameras to battery only (as a test), and see if that makes any difference.

PrinceofAuburn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Disconnecting direct power did not seem to help.  The base station is on a different floor from the router, connected by a cat 5 cable.  I am not sure there is a good viable solution.  Disabling hardware acceleration in the browser had the most impact, but was not the perfect solution.  It is annoying, but I have resigned myself to downloading impacted videos and playing with VLC.  It would be helpful if there was an easy way to download ALL the videos at one time to a directory preset in the Arlo app.  I could then just play them all at one time or as needed using VLC.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PrinceofAuburn wrote:

It would be helpful if there was an easy way to download ALL the videos at one time to a directory preset in the Arlo app.  I could then just play them all at one time or as needed using VLC.

@jguerdat has a python script that will download all the videos (at least for the day).  

PrinceofAuburn
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can i get a copy of that script?

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Prince, PM me your email address.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes