Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 2. Automatic Individual camera shut off

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got my arlo pro 2 today. I have 4 cameras outside and one inside. I was curious if I can set it up to where only certain cameras shut off when I am home. And more precisely, within a few feet. The reason being, every time I get home my cameras record me coming through the door and send a push notification and save video. Burning up my camera and phone battery. I know that I can program them all to shut off when I’m within a few 100 feet of home but I would like for my outside cameras to stay on while I’m inside the house. Incase someone steels something at night while I’m inside. And if disarmed when I’m home, this would be missed. Is there a way to make them shut off when my phone is within 10’ or so? Or am I stuck manually turning off each camera before I pass through them? Or stuck with them recording wasting batteries and log space? I’ve looked all over in the app and in the manual, but all I can see is that I can geofence them all to disarm when I’m within a few hundred feet of home, but that is it. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Perhaps a genuine modes expert could help but have you tried playing around with Custom Modes and Schedules?

Create a mode that triggers only the cameras you want on at home (or away) and schedule that mode for the required time of day.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes it can be done ... that is what CUSTOM modes do...they allow you to select groups of cameras to be active; like inside/outside.

Looks into the FAQs as to custom modes which allow you to split some cameras from the total number.

So if you have Cams A B C D , and A B are outside. You set up a custom mode called "outside" and use the mode to arm the outside cameras when home... C D would not be active.

As to doing it automatically within a few feet , that isn't possible ( tho you can use the Geozone to turn off inside cameras while leaving outside cameras active as you get nearby )

Tip; Any camera NOT in the active mode is OFF

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was playing with it last night but wasn’t all too clear. To me the process of doing that in the app wasn’t very smooth operating. Or I just didn’t understand it. lol.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

It isn't just you. These rules and modes are not the intuitive things to configure.

Perhaps there are some useful KnowledgeBase articles.

The manual gets you started, but not much more than that.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Michael is correct... it isn't really easy till you do it four or five times.

Another tip;  Add a custom Mode with the first camera and SAVE, then go back and EDIT that mode to add the second or third cameras

( do this on a computer and browser as it is MUCH easier than a phone at https://arlo.netgear.com)

(Fire Fox or Chrome seem to work the best.)

Going to show you with cams A,B,C. ( A,B are outside )

Here's a walk thru

Go to MODE ( make sure you on the right base if more than one )

click on ADD A MODE

name it OUTSIDE, next

pick CAM A, next

pick when motion detect ( some cams have audio too ), next

set sense level, motion default is 80%, most of mine run at 90% ( higher is more sense ), next

pick camera to trigger usually is same,CAM A ( tho it can be a diff camera if desired ), next

make sure record video is toggle on, then click on ">"

pick fixed lenght of time about 30 secs, SAVE

NEXT

Pick Push or email ( > sign to enter email address

FINISH

SAVE

You should now have a custom mode in list for cam A only

Click ">" to EDIT new mode

click on + ADD RULE ( for second or third cam )

PICK CAM B... follow almost same steps as before...don't forget to save when needed

Let us know how it works out 🙂

Morse is faster than texting!
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you! This is what I tried but when I added second camera, it wouldn’t allow me to select record for second camera when it senses motion. It defaulted to “Do nothing!” I will try saving the first mode and then editing to see if that fixes the problem!
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I set up my custom mode to make the inside camera not function. All outside ones still function. But I can’t seem to link geofence with it. And if that isn’t possible, that means I have to open the app every time I am coming or going to switch modes from custom to armed and vice versa. And if that’s the case, I may as well open the app and disarm everything when I get home then re arm it when inside and manually turn the kitchen camera off. So am I missing something? Or is the custom mode just useless for what I am looking for?
Dannybear
Master
Master
I suggest that custom modes are ideal for what you want.

As an example I have geofencing set on mine to use the Armed mode when away and use schedule mode when at home.
In the schedule I have setup three time slots for when at home using three created custom modes called Daytime, evening and bedtime. In each mode I created the rules for each camera, specific for each time slot.
A lot of work but ideal for my requirements.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation