Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo app notifications stopped working several iOS updates back

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Catfarts
Guide
Guide
So, I’m on iOS version 15.4.1 right now, and the Arlo app stopped sending any notifications maybe two updates ago. App is up to date at version 3.6.4, I’ve checked all the notification setting on the app and in my iOS settings, and I’ve deleted and re-installed the app. My cameras still work properly, and motion detection still triggers recording to the cloud; however I still do not receive any notification of any kind from the Arlo app and I’m pretty much completely fed up with this company. I’m not sure why they have so much trouble maintaining minimal functionality of their app (think all the months when geofencing was broken), but I think this is probably about as far as I’m going to let them go taking my money for a system that has been chronically broken over at least the last four years. How do your notifications not work anymore!?
7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Catfarts wrote:
So, I’m on iOS version 15.4.1 right now, and the Arlo app stopped sending any notifications maybe two updates ago. App is up to date at version 3.6.4,

I'm not seeing this with my iPhone 12 mini.  What iPhone model are you using?

Are you just seeing this when your phone is connected only with cellular?  Or are you seeing it when the phone is connected to your home wifi too?

Have you checked that push notifications are selected in the camera rule(s)?  https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Zacctastic
Tutor
Tutor
Same here. Notifications stopped working. Checked all the iOS settings. I’m trying an experiment to pause notifications now for a bit to see if that “resets” something on their cloud.

But overall I understand the frustration. This engineering team need to get their act together.
Catfarts
Guide
Guide
Thanks for your reply, and I’m currently running the app on iPhone 12 Pro. First let me say that even notifications related to geofencing stopped at the same time that camera alerts did. However, I just checked the camera settings under armed mode, and oddly both the checkbox for audio detection and for push notification under alerts are no longer editable. They’re both checked for each camera but they’re dimmed and cannot be either changed (i.e. unchecked) or edited using the pencil icon on the right of the option.
Catfarts
Guide
Guide
Forgot to mention that it doesn’t matter whether I’m on WiFi or using cellular data, it’s been almost a month since I’ve gotten any notifications.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Catfarts wrote:
Forgot to mention that it doesn’t matter whether I’m on WiFi or using cellular data, it’s been almost a month since I’ve gotten any notifications.

Do you have a subscription for any of your cameras?  If you do, then I suggest using the support options in the subscription area of the app (particularly the phone option).

You could also try creating a custom mode for one of the cameras, and see if you can set up push notifications in that mode.

Zacctastic
Tutor
Tutor

Update on my situation. I've been trying various changes in the app to get notifications to work again. Several things didn't work like posing notifications for a period of time hoping they would restart on expiry of pause, and toggling the individual cameras (I have three cameras and a doorbell). 

I got the notifications to restart finally:  I disabled then re-enabled the arming for the cameras (one arm/disarm state) and the doorbell (another arm/disarm toggle). When I did this notifications restarted for the cameras and the doorbell. 

Its possible one of the iOS updates somehow caused a hiccup such that the notifications ceased and the toggling of arm-disarm-arm reset the state. I'd give this a try if you haven't.

Phantom73160
Initiate
Initiate

I feel that it is plausible and think it has something to do with the update.

We operate several go cameras at our facility. All connected through the app on various devices on both Andriod, IOS and by wifi by our security personnel overnight use. One of the IOS devices is set to auto update, notifications stopped. Followed all the troubleshooting tips, repeated those tips in case I messed something, still nothing. 

All other devices the push notifications were working, so I started chasing out troubleshooting for device issues, No luck. Some of our security personnel are not the most tech savvy, so I went to set that device to hotspot feed the iPad that was getting notifications, for the upcoming shift. Our facility is on 80+ acres and can't get wifi to all of it. Noticed the iPad was not updated to latest version. Once I updated, the push notifications for that device stopped. Chased out wifi/sim card troubleshooting, no luck with that either. Checked other devices and the not updated ones are getting notifications. Seemed like out of all of our devices, the ones that have not updated are still getting push. I am going to try your recommendation and see if that resolves the issue on these devices. If that is the case, I will go ahead and update with one of the androids; just been to weary to find test if it is an platform/operating system conflict because we have to have devices functioning, we have too much relying upon it to risk having all our devices down.  

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation