Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo and google wifi - arlo cameras not working on one wifi point

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mikecasey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone,

I have a peculiar issue that I am finding difficult to resolve. I google wifi through my house and also in my shed which is about 50M away. To connect the wifi nodes I have used a line of site aerial and have successfully got the shed wifi point to connect to my mesh network.

My problem is that for whatever reason, my arlo cameras work fine within my house but not in the shed. I can synch them and have them running with the base station but as soon as I take them out to the shed I can no longer connect to them (arlo app says offline).

Any ideas as to why this is? Other forums seem to suggest arlo can be extended over wifi using a wifi extender or google wifi points without issue? 

Thanks,

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Your wifi arrangement does not matter much. The Pro 2 cameras talk to the Arlo hub. Their distance from that will affect the connection. Maybe the shed is just too far from the house for the hub's own wifi. 50 metres may be possible, but a lot depends on local circumstances

If you can get an Ethernet connection in the shed, with a wifi extender for example, you could add a second hub and use your wifi network to connect the second hub back to the router.

You could experiment with this by taking your existing hub to the shed, connecting that to the wifi extender and see if the cameras work.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
mikecasey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Michael,

Does that mean there is no way to relay over another wifi network?  - I thought I read something different but perhaps I misinterpreted. This would by far be my perferred option!

If that is they case, would having two base stations on the same wifi network (but quite far apart from each other) act as the same security network or a different one?

I am guessing acting as a different one probably is not the end of the world however I would quite like to have all my cameras on one network. 

Shed is too far away not to relay and is on a seperate electricity circuit so cant relay over power. I might be able to relay by a switch over the existing line of site connection but its getting awfully tricky to solve! 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@mikecasey wrote:

Does that mean there is no way to relay over another wifi network?  - I thought I read something different but perhaps I misinterpreted. This would by far be my perferred option!

You cannot connect your Arlo hub to another wifi source. The hub uses its own closed wifi network.

You can connect it over a wifi source if you can plug it into the LAN port on something like a wifi extender that has a wifi connection back to a router. The second hub will see that is a wired connection

@mikecasey wrote:

I am guessing acting as a different one probably is not the end of the world however I would quite like to have all my cameras on one network. 

Using two hubs is a well recognised strategy. It is the way to connect cameras that are too far from the router.

I have tried "two hub" setups and can confirm that it works just fine. You can "trigger" events between hubs – camera on one hub can tell camera on another hub to do its thing.

There are people around her who kn ow more about this stuff then I do, and there are plenty of messages in the same vein. A bit of a search might prove useful,

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation