Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Smart People Recognition Is Not Working

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
The_Steves
Follower
Follower

We purchased a 6-camera Arlo Pro 2 package last week and installed it yesterday. We subscribed to the Arlo Smart Premier service and turned off all but people recognition. We were almost instantly inundated with emails and phone alerts telling us that movement was detected on each of the cameras.

One camera was pointed at our boat, and apparently the waves on the lake look like people. 

boat.png

Another camera was pointed at our lower level, but the flag was waving at the top of the picture. The flag must look like a person too. We set an activity zone on that camera that was below the flag. Didn't make a difference.

The people recognition setting is completely useless. We have now deactivated all of the cameras, which defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. We are disappointed that we spent $1000 on a system that we really can't use effectively.

We will keep it for another week, with the cameras deactivated, while we decide if it's worth keeping or not. Right now, we're tempted to return it, but we'll be out the 4-year protection guarantee that we purchased along with it. That's still better than sinking $1000 into something that's not useful to us.

If there are any suggestions on how to improve the people recognition so we don't get 120 notifications an hour (draining battery life and clogging our email inbox), we would appreciate it!

Thanks,

The Steves

4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

@The_Steves

When you first view the recordings you should see an orange circle with, I believe, a question mark inside it. If you click on the orange circle it will ask you if the camera detected a person or not. If there is no person present in the image, then click on "Other". After a number of times it will realize that what it is seein is not a person and will stop sending you the notifications. My wife grows some tall plants outside near my front porch camera that are always waving in the wind and the camera thinks they ate people. After a week or so of selecting, "Other," it no longer sends me the notifications.

Brian

pglennl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where is this orange circle located?  I have not seen this before.

brh
Master
Master

@pglennl

It seems that this feature is no longer available. When Arlo Smart first came out, if the server was not sure how to identify the subject, there would be an amber circle with a question mark inside that when clicked you would get a message asking if Arlo had identified the subject properly. You would then say Yes or No. I have not seen this show up for a long time, so when a subject is misidentified now, I don't know how to notify Arlo about the problem. I could donate the video, but would Arlo know why I donated it?

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It still shows up but I've only had it for package detection. I find that the detection in my case is pretty accurate except for packages. You can still donate the video although you can't add comments which would be helpful.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation