Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my Arlo three cameras keeps going offline. How do I bring it back when I am 500km away from it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was finally able to solve my issues with help from Arlo Tech. Support.

I disengaged the 5GHz option on the WiFi and connected using the Free Standing option.

It took patience scanning the QR code...almost six minutes to confirm the scan and an additional four minutes for Arlo to find the cameras....but they have been on line without issues for over 24 hours now.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The only way to bring the camera back from offline would be to reset the camera. Unfortunately you would have to have the camera in hand to do this process. You can try restarting it from within the app under the device ~ Click on the name of the device and then restart. 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Get a more reliable system!

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Edinburgh_lad1, you are absolutely correct, I should get a system that works. Arlo  Support is non existent. 

two of the three cameras work fine. The third one will not connect at all anymore. I have followed the set up / reset instructions to no avail.

"Your Arlo device appears off line - Need help?"   Yes I do need help but none is forth coming.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Doug_MacG were you able to reset the camera and try to re-onboard it? 

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am currently at home where I have tried resetting, removing , reinstalling the camera. The camera works fine for four to five hours after the procedure, but then goes offline again and will not return until I replicate the procedure once again...kinda defeats the purpose of having a security camera...don't you think?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My supposition is that the camera has a problem causing this to happen. Since the other cameras don't exhibit the problem, it's not a base station issue. You could try swapping cameras around to verify that it's a camera issue and not the location.

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I have switched camera locations and the same camera keeps going off line. 

Also when it does connect it drops from 100 % to around 60% in the four or five hours of connected time.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Doug_MacG wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have switched camera locations and the same camera keeps going off line. 

Also when it does connect it drops from 100 % to around 60% in the four or five hours of connected time.

If you swap batteries, does the problem more with the battery?  Or does it stay with the camera?

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have swapped batteries and even installed new ones...the problem persists. The camera is only six months old.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Doug_MacG wrote:

The camera is only six months old.

This is a Pro 2?  Arlo stopped making them in 2019.

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera in question is an 'Essential Spotlight'

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Doug_MacG wrote:

The camera in question is an 'Essential Spotlight'

Your post title said "Pro2 off line", and you posted in the Pro 2 forum section.  The Pro 2 is a very different camera.

Do you have a Gen 2 Essential (VMC2050, VMC2052, VMC3050, VMC3052)?

Or do you have a Gen 1 (VMC2030 or VMC2032)?

I am thinking you have a subscription.  Have you tried phone support via the support center of the app?  You can request a warranty exchange (RMA) since the camera should still be within the warranty period.

But you would need to get to the camera location (PITA I know).

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an older Pro2  2 camera system. I purchased a VMC2030 camera to add to my existing system. The VMC2030 worked fine for three months, but started going off line after that. As stated earlier I have followed the procedures as published. The best after a reset where the camera works for a few hours, but then goes offline again.

The two original Pro 2 cameras work fine.

No I do not have a subscription.

I have tried the App support....no dice in getting it to work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the Essential connected to your home wifi, or is it connected to the base?

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

All three cameras are connected to the base.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still seeing this same behavior? 

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, After a few hours the camera goes offline and will only come back when I reset the camera

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Doug_MacG  please reach out to support. Within the app on your mobile device click on the silhouette on the top left ~ support center ~ the device that you are needing assistance with then choose the issue.

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have done this countless times, followed every procedure as outlined, contact Arlo support and chatted with them many many times, nothing works. I was even provided with a new camera and the same issue exists.

I believe it is time to purchase a new system and say good by to this dysfunctional setup.

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yesterday I had to do 6 factory resets on the new camera. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a security camera given the number of resets required. How does one do it from 500 km away?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have escalated your case to support. Please allow a few days for support to reach out to you. 

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was finally able to solve my issues with help from Arlo Tech. Support.

I disengaged the 5GHz option on the WiFi and connected using the Free Standing option.

It took patience scanning the QR code...almost six minutes to confirm the scan and an additional four minutes for Arlo to find the cameras....but they have been on line without issues for over 24 hours now.

Doug_MacG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to re-engage the 5GHz wifi after successful connection.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation