Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro VMB4000 Video and audio are both extremely choppy

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
jeffmcd28
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMB4000 - - I purchased my Arlo Pro Cameras back in August of last year. I had no problems until about 2 months ago and then all of a sudden every time I log into my Arlo App to view the cameras we have setup, they won't function property. The video is extremely slow and never is in normal speed. It starts out normal for a couple of seconds and then just becomes choppy and in slow motion while the audio just goes in and out. The audio basically sounds like morse code. We really haven't been able to find a solution to this and I'm at the point of just wanting to return it while its still under warranty. My internet speed is about 12 down and 1 up so I don't think that is the issue and besides, that hasn't changed since we installed the cameras.  They are basically unusable at this point because the quality is so bad.  Any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11
Streak2
Master Master
Master

It's possible that your 1 upload speed has reduced. Try and run speedtest to see what it is now.

Also, try and change the video setting to optimized or best battery life to see if that improves matters.

jeffmcd28
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve tried changing the camera settings to battery life or optimized and it still has the same problem. I had another speed test done and I am getting 15 down and 1.1 up. I’ve also called AT&T and they don’t detect any issues with my line and have also done a firmware update on my modem but they don’t see any other problems
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Check that you are on the latest firmware releases see here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

Have you tried a restart of the base and router to which it is connected?

jeffmcd28
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah I’m on the latest version they give. I’ve tried restarting both the base and router and unfortunately no change.
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Last thought would be to try and relocate the base just in case it's suffering from some interference. Try running a longer ethernet cable to it from the router. Sometimes a few feet and higher or lower can make all the difference. 

Also, bring one of the cameras much closer to the base and see if the problem still exists on that camera.

sergnkelly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same model, same issue. 

Jeffmcd288
Aspirant
Aspirant
I continue to have the same problem and have gotten nowhere with Arlo support. Tried to return it under the year warranty and they wouldn’t until I tried a few other things which one included trying to get a static ip to try. It worked for several months without that and then started this problem. I wish I could have just returned it for a new base station. They also said that it needs more than 1 up speed but I told them I was told it should work on 1 up speed when I got it and that’s all I had since the beginning. Beyond frustrated as they are pretty useless this way.
Jeffmcd288
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was disappointed with the rep on the phone as they totally didn’t understand everything I was telling them and they were just sticking to the script of things to try.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Is this an issue when viewing recorded videos in the library or with live view?

Jeffmcd288
Aspirant
Aspirant
Live view
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Thanks. If your internet connection upload is only 1 Mbps, then that's a problem. That's too slow to support live viewing of any 1080p camera.  When you live view your Arlo camera, the video goes up to the cloud (over your slow 1 Mbps connection) then back down to your viewing device. You need 4-6 Mbps for viewing a decent 1080p video stream.  

If you can get a faster upload from your ISP, then do that.  Otherwise, viewing short videos from the library might still be OK, since the camera can buffer the video before it sends it up to the cloud.  

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation