Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Another-Newby
Follower
Follower

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help.

I have recently purchased an Arlo system,  ( pro 2 ) 2 camera version with base station.

I am trying to find answers for the best display monitor options but i'm not having a lot of luck.

All I am trying to establish is what is out there to enable the simplist display monitoring solution to our front door security concerns.

When someone rings / knocks, my wife hasn't got all day to decide whether to open the front door or not, so what I am looking for is the best, simplest and quickest product for displaying whose at the front door.

Seems to me that some hand held monitor, ( continuous baby monitor ?), might be best option for intermittent motion camara, but advice and recommendations would be very welcome.

Some further questions if I may:

i. If Arlo baby monitor is the best solution, ( when oh when will it be available ?).

ii Will Arlo Pro 2 Solar charger power 2 cameras or do I need separate units to charge each camera ?

Many thanks for any help and advice you are able to provide.

Regards

Graham

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The baby monitor isn't available yet so that's a non-starter.

Any of the apps or web browser connections will time out after 30 minutes so you'll always have to restart them at some point. The fastest thing to do is to use push notifications which happen nearly instantaneously but can't show the video since the video hasn't completed the upload. The email notifications have a link to the video but only come after the video is completed uploading. So, using the email link would work the best but keep your videos from at least one camera short so the video is almost immediately viewable.

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@Another-Newbywrote:

I am trying to find answers for the best display monitor options but i'm not having a lot of luck.

All I am trying to establish is what is out there to enable the simplist display monitoring solution to our front door security concerns.

Check out a low cost tablet. A starting point for price comparison is a Samsung 8" Tab-A. It's a mid-range tablet in terms of processor speed and with a battery life that will last several days between charges. This will be less expensive than buying a monitor + PC type setup plus the tablet is portable. For fastest response, don't use any security on the tablet if it's just going to be around the house. Press the home button to wake up the tablet. With the Arlo app installed the tablet will make a sound when someone triggers the camera at the door. Using the Library view, you'll see the last image the camera saw which will show who/what is at the door. The video should have loaded and the preview showing by the time your wife has found, picked up the tablet and turned on the screen. This is probably as fast as walking to the front door or window and peering out. And faster than walking to a stationary PC/monitor setup. 

Just tested it at our front door. I opened the door. 3 seconds to the ding to sound on the tablet. 10 seconds for the video to be fully uploaded. Another 10 seconds to load and play the video. Would that do the job for you? 

Regarding solar charger, it charges one camera at a time. I'm considering using one solar charger and moving it around to charge cameras that are not near an AC outlet. Once charged, the batteries should last one or more months. Then I would bring the solar charger back in to prolong its life.

Jetfire
Tutor
Tutor
Unfortunately there isn't a way to get a fast live view from a monitor. I don't know why this isn't developed since the topic keeps coming up.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation