Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
nuprin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All - Thanks in advance for your help. Does anyone know if the Arlo Pro 2 works with the Samsung SmartThings hub? From what I can tell from both mfg websites, it looks like the Pro does, but the Pro 2 isn't mentioned. 

12 REPLIES 12
Toy4RickS
Apprentice
Apprentice

You are correct.  The only thing from AP2 that connect is the base unit, not the cameras

Rick

nuprin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Rick! I was referring more to if AP2 'works with smartthings'. Here's an example  https://www.smartthings.com/products/netgear-arlo-wire-free-pro-hd-camera

I know I'll need to use the AP2 base unit, and I'm hoping the AP2 integrates (not sure if that's the right term) with Samsung's SmartThings smart home hub as well. 

nuprin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should clarify... in addition to the AP2 hub would it _also_ work with the SmartThings smart home hub. 

Toy4RickS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry, let me try this again

AP hub and cameras do integrate with ST, I had both and can confirm this.  I also had AP2 and can confirm that only the base unit integrates with ST, the AP2 cameras don't

The AP hub is the same for Pro and Pro 2

Does that help?

Rick

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I haven't checked it out myself but I saw a post saying Arlo Pro 2 is now compatible with ST. It hadn't been until recently. I'll check it out tonight

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice
The Pro 2 integration with SmartThings is currently broken. The mode settings continuously revert to defaults. This renders the camera as useless as recording is disabled when this happens. I do not have this problem on my older Pros. I have tickets open with SmartThings and Arlo (premier). SmartThings has responded and is investigating. No word from Arlo support despite being a paying customer.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

When you integrate Arlo with Smartthings, it creates a Smartthings mode in Arlo. This is intentional. The rules in the Smartthings mode are things like Front Door camera motion detection causes Back Door camera to do nothing. This is again intentional. This is because the recordings are stored on the Samsung server, which you can access through SHM. It cannot record both to the Arlo Cloud Server and the Smartthings Server at the same time

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice
I appreciate your response however your understanding of how the integration is supposed to work is incorrect. I’ve been running 5 Arlo Pros with SmartThings for a year. I know how the integration is supposed to work, and yes you can configure the rules in Arlo to have camera record to the Arlo cloud. This can be done separate from the SmartThings rules which is a benefit in reducing cloud to cloud latency.

As I said this works perfectly with my 5 Arlo Arlos. It does work correctly with the Pro 2. What makes this completely untenable is that I cannot disable push notifications in the Arlo for the SmartThings mode. Within an hour of turning off they mysteriously turn back on.

It’s a serious bug.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yup. I also do that by deleting the Smartthings mode. This makes it so it runs in one of my custom Arlo modes and records to the Arlo server. My only 'integration' is that the cameras work as motion sensors to trigger smart lighting and WebCoRE pistons. If you do many other things with ST, you'll find the smartthings mode will get created again. 

If you think this is a bug, which I still maintain it isn't, scroll to the bottom of the page and hit Contact Support and open a support ticket. If you think it's broken, get them to fix it

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not sure what happened to my last post..

It is reasonable that you don't think this is a bug.  Neither Netgear nor Alro have done a good job in documenting how the integration is supposed to work so I understand that you're unclear as to how it works.  I'll try to explain..

When you integrate the Arlo Pro cameras into SmartThings, a SmartThings mode is created in the Arlo cloud.  Within that mode are rules for each integrated camera, with names corresponding to each respective cameras' serial number.  Within these rules under the SmartThings mode you can set options like recording on motion & audio detection, motion & audio sensitivity, record duration, sending e-mails and push notifications when these things happen, etc.  You can enable Arlo cloud recording on any of these rules which has the effect of eliminating a 3-5 second cloud-to-cloud latency between Arlo & SmartThings. It also keeps the recordings triggered in the Arlo cloud, stored in the Arlo cloud.   I do have some SHM and other rules to trigger these cameras to record under very specific circumstances, but leave it to the Arlo rules to do the bulk of the work.  Recordings triggered by SmartThings are only stored in the ST cloud, so I try not to create conditions which do that.  I use CoRE and custom SmartApps to toggle the cameras on/off, which turns them off just as you would in the Arlo app.  This action prevent them from recording to the Arlo cloud.  This is exactly how the integration is supposed to work.

And it does, on the 5 Arlo Pro's I've had since November of last year.  I added a 6th camera, the new Pro 2 over the weekend, and I cannot configure the rules in the SmartThings mode in the Arlo system.  Within minutes to an hour of when I do, they revert back to defaults, including turning push notifications on from the Arlo system, disabling recording, etc.  If I keep the camera integrated with SmartThings, I cannot prevent this behavior from happening.  The rule even re-creates itself if I delete it.

So yes, since this camera clearly doesn't function the same way as the other Arlo Pro cameras, the fact is that it is a bug which renders the integration useless.

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adding to this thread...

Yesterday I added an Arlo-Q to my system bringing my system to 5 Arlo Pro, 1 Arlo Pro 2, and 1 Arlo-Q.  

The 5 Pros & the Q do NOT exhibit the settings-reversion bug.  The Pro 2 still does.  There is an issue where in the integration. Arlo Support blames SmartThings, and SmartThings claims they've been asking Netgear to fix the issue for a while.

Meanwhile the customer is caught in the middle.

Xwar
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any updates on this? If proper smartthings integration is not working, I'll have to return my arlo 2s if and when I get my best buy canada screw up rectified.
Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation