Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
tdl311
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently added a Pro 2 camera to my existing 9 camera Arlo Pro  / 2 base station configuration so I could take advantage of CVR. The camera is about 15' from the base station and was installed in a location that previously had a standard Pro camera. Multiple times each day, the CVR with stop recording and live video availbility will fail with the message the camera failed to connect. To remedy the situation, when I discover it, I simply need to toggle the on/off in the camera settings within the Arlo app. So I am not physically disconnecting or touching the camera to get it to reconnect. It has a reasonably strong signal (2 bars, which I would think would be better at 15' but that's a different topic) so connectivity should not be an issue and, like I said, I had a Pro camera in that location for 18 months and never had an issue connecting to it. Is this just a Pro 2 / CVR flaw? It's a waste of $$ is my camera won't record 24/7 and I never know when it is going to stop.  Thanks for the help. Tom

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tdl311,

To further isolate the issue, try the camera in a different location (temporarily as a test) to see if the behavior is any different. It could be that something is affecting the signal strength at that location which is causing the issue you describe.

JamesC

Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm having the exact same problem.

As of three or four days ago I had noticed that it was disconnected when I got up for work in the morning. I thought it was strange that it was only the camera with the CVR enabled. At 4:30 in the morning, I took my ladder out and disconnected the camera, removed the battery, took it back to the base station and resynced. It reconnected but the next night it did it again. I have two cameras but only one is CVR. Now... here's where it gets interesting. It just started happening and it happens at random times each day. In the evening after I already go to bed it cuts out and in the morning when I am already at work it returns without me doing anything at all. Strange right?

So I started viewing my CVR. Two nights in a row as soon as the Nightvision kicks in about 2 seconds later the stream is lost. So I believe it has something to do with the Nightvision but the other camera isn't effected. I just disabled the Nightvision mode on the camera with CVR and we'll see if my theory is correct.
If that doesn't work then I'll set my CVR to my other camera for a day and see what happens. If that camera goes out then it's because of the CVR. But I think that I'm onto something here.

Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice

So here's the deal.
My theory seems to be on point.

CVR with nightvision is causing a disconnect. I tested this by disabling the nightvision mode and it stayed on all night.

At about 4 or 5am I activated the nightvision. Guess what happened? Disconnected immediately.

tdl311
Aspirant
Aspirant
My camera disconnects day or night, regardless of nightvision. I thought the issue might be that I had a separate motion-based recording activation set up in the armed mode. But, even after disabling it, the issue persisted.

I’m going to try a new location today. In general I’m really disappointed with the range. The signal goes between 1 to 2 bars but is literally 15’ from the base, granted with a brick wall in between. Others are similarly positioned and mounted and have better signals. It’s very inconsistent from camera to camera.

I wish they would integrate the Wi-Fi into their Orbi product as they have with Nighthawk. Buying more base stations to improve signal strength is a crappy architecture.. And, forcing a completely separate wLan merely adds to the congestion.
tdl311
Aspirant
Aspirant
I moved my camera and now have a full strength WiFi signal (most of the time). It’s ridiculous that it has to be within 10’ of the base station to get a decent signal.

Unfortunately, it still loses CVR connectivity for long stretches of time and I would call the motion detection. And time stamp mediocre at best. There are a lot of significant objects (like cars) that it doesn’t pick up and when it does detect motion the actual event can be as much as a few minutes after the marker. Worst, someone stole my mail from my mailbox which coincidentally occurred when CVR was having one of its fits. So much for security cameras.

I expect more from a company of this experience. When you look at what Ring has done with their technology, app, and quality as a startup you’d think Netgear could compete.

I’m so disappointed in the tech and the Tier 1 customer care that I’m considering replacing my 10 camera system with something that works as designed and described.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tdl311,

It could be the placement of the base station that is limiting the signal strength, relocating/elevating the base station may help improve the signal to the camera as well.

JamesC

tdl311
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James,

It’s on the second floor in a window which is line of sight visibility to the camera.

Tom
dubre322
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this exact issue... and I can pinpoint it further to the CVR service.  My Arlo Base Station is approx. 10 feet from my camera (Arlo Pro 2).  It is literally across an open space with NOTHING between them and full bars.  I have had it for a few weeks and the triggered event recording has worked well.  I added CVR functionality a few days ago - since then I have all sorts of issues with it.  The recordings don't have audio, or the recordings are ghosting, or the camera is offline, etc., etc. This isn't a wireless connectivity issue like so many keep referencing to check.  Today I was annoyed to the point I cancelled the CVR service... After doing so this morning, I have had no more issues - recordings are clean, audio is in them, live view is working, etc.

What has NetGear (Arlo) responded to as an actual issue.  This clearly isn't my setup as others have similar issues.  I would argue it could be bandwidth related, but that should not be the case.  Are the cameras and base station not properly scaled to handle all the processing for these?  It's as if with the CVR and the event triggers it breaks.  It is also as though the CVR constant stream (presumably) to the base is too much for the system to handle and that's only with one camera doing it.

What is a resolution or troubleshooting step for this besides my simple, okay, don't pay for the CVR (which I was hoping to use).

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation