Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
bfenster90
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using one Arlo Pro 2 (HW3) with VMB4000 r3 base station and it takes a minimum of 8 seconds (sometimes a 30-40 seconds) to show the live feed in the app. Super annoying when I get a motion detection notification and it takes a few seconds to open the app and 15 -30 seconds to see what's going on and potentially respond - most of the time, whatever or whoever was there is gone.

I'm using Netgears Orbi wifi (which should avoid the 2.4 channel that the base station uses, no?), base station is connected to the RBR 50 router (not a satelite AP) that's connected directly to my internet connection and the base station is literally 7ft from the camera. I'm also using the Arlo doorbell and chime.

Delay doesn't matter whether I'm using the mobile app in the house on fast WiFi or remote with high signal LTE. It's just slow and unpredictable everywhere

5 REPLIES 5
Dannybear
Master
Master
My iOS app accessible time is 29 seconds, I have never known it to have been any less since purchasing the system almost a year ago. I access via local wifi 5Ghz and moved all other smart devices to same.

I have read here that it previously was quicker but that was well before.

I set my front camera recording time to 40 seconds so I can manually live record the conversation. I double latch the front gate so it gives me time to view the visitor by slowing him down.

Alas the workarounds you have to resort to make arlo workable.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm using Netgears Orbi wifi (which should avoid the 2.4 channel that the base station uses, no?), base station is connected to the RBR 50 router (not a satelite AP) that's connected directly to my internet connection and the base station is literally 7ft from the camera. I'm also using the Arlo doorbell and chime.

Delay doesn't matter whether I'm using the mobile app in the house on fast WiFi or remote with high signal LTE. It's just slow and unpredictable everywhere

No, the Orbi ( I run one too ) will use what ever channels / freqs it need to access the devices that log in...

so it uses both 2.4 and 5 ghz.

The Arlo bases ( except Ultra ) use only 2.4ghz... and they will end up on the same channel as the router if nearby. ( less than about 20ft ).

Arlo/Netgear has determined that on the same channel there is less issues/colisions

It may be you data speed,... unknown from your info...mine is also 6 ft away .... I don't see the move to live longer than 10 sec, usu more like 5 secs from clicking on live to actual view. ( just tested same 3 x , diff cams and range was 4-5 second depending on cam,  on win 10 computer  )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
bfenster90
Aspirant
Aspirant

It looks like the Orbi does support band steering which technically should avoid the 2.4Ghz channel that that the Arlo base station uses (for the uninitiated, 2.4Ghz has *about* 11 usable channels - if two devices that serve Wi-Fi devices chose the same channel in close proximity, you're hosed. Band steering identifies those competing devices and choses a "clean" channel). And I live in a pretty rural/suburban location so not a lot of 2.4Ghz noise in the air that would consume all the 2.4 channels. The more I read, I'm wondering if it's my upload speed - download (using speedtest.net) is 120Mbps but my upload is only 6Mbps. I wish Arlo would post optimal network environment so I knew if this was an issue and I needed to chat with my provider for more upload speed.

misspixels
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same problem on my iPad 2019. The application is excessively slow in live mode. Delays of up to 2 minutes are observed.

I have a very good connection speed on my tablet: Download of 31.4 and Upload of 20.8 Mbps.

I tried to connect to the platform via the Web browser to compare but it seems impossible.

Very frustrating.

Dannybear
Master
Master
If the iPad has cellular capability can you switch off the wifi option and check if the delay is any better. Should be about 2 seconds lag.

If the above improved the lag then consider switching the iPad wifi to use the 5Ghz band if you’re wifi modem is capable to free up the 2.4ghz for the arlo to use.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation