Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GarloK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just hooked system up yesterday and it went together fairly smooth. Today, two of the "live" screens were just blank and did not detect motion. One of the cameras that was blanked out was right next to another camera that is working just fine, and they are both about 20-25 feet from the unit. I re-synced the two blanked out cameras and everything is back to normal. I notice in some of the reviews that others were having the same issue. Is there a fix for this problem, or is this going to be a habit? I have them all hooked up to AC power so I don't have to deal with the batteries and then re-set the motion areas, and aim them. If I have to re-sync them every day... I won't be impressed to say the least. Hoping for any ideas or a fix... thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have 4x Arlo Pro 2 cameras and haven't seen this issue. Have you seen it more than once?

GarloK
Aspirant
Aspirant

So far just the one time... but I just hooked it up yesterday. I just noticed in sevaral of the consumer reviews, other people had the same issues.

GarloK
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I walk outside this morning, and no motion detection. Two of the cameras are off-line again.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs on the base showing? Have you restarted the base? Have you checked for firmware updates - are the cameras all the same? It might be worth removing the cameras from Settings, My Devices and resyncing.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

What are your internet speeds? Up, down, ping?

GarloK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Right now during peak time of usage I'm @ 60 ms ping, 3.4 Mbps down, .7 up. I've got everything re-synced and it's currently working fine. It's lost sync overnight both nights... speeds should be 4.8 down and .7 up during off peak internet use at night. 

GarloK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Updates to cameras and base were done on set-up, I removed cameras and re-synced as you stated. We'll have to see what tomorrow morning presents...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to be clear, that slow of a connection may well cause problems. The official spec posted everywhere is a minimum of 1Mbps upload speeds. It may work at slower speeds but you're living on the hairy edge, especially if multiple cameras record at the same time.

GarloK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Slight correction to your statement: "official spec posted everywhere is a minimum of 1Mbps upload speeds"... The requirement written directly on the side of the box states: "High speed internet connection"... nothing more on the details of their definition of "high speed". So I'm assuming this is most likely my problem and my fault for not asking questions of additional details I didn't know I needed to ask. Thanks for your help, I sincerly appreciate it.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have a 200/200 fibre connection at home with 3ms ping. When I'm home everything works pretty well. At work I have ADSL which normally runs about 8/1 9ms. With the slow speeds, I find I have issues with the Arlo system I have at work as well as seeing the cameras at home via the Arlo app. I'm pretty sure there is a comms check between the cameras and base, base and Arlo servers, and Arlo servers and phone app. If any one of these doesn't occur in a timely manner, devices can show offline. When I know it's because of a slow connection, I force close the app and reopen the app and wait for the running man, ear, signal strength and battery level icons to appear (which can take some time on the slow connection) and most often the "offline" camera reappears as online.
As Jguerdat said, you can function adequately on ADSL but it is far from optimal when you have slow internet, especially upload speed. Even a change from ADSL to VDSL would be helpful

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not to pour salt in the wound but check out the last page here:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/Documents/arlo_datasheet.pdf

"Everywhere" was a poor choice of words. Official data as well as postings here should make it clear.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation