Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 position opinion

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Abmet
Apprentice
Apprentice

57F43D11-5919-4A0B-A408-3D1EAC9F21A9.jpeg

How can I optimize the motion detection to best cover this location? Currently will pick up motion when reaches the green area but the red area is not detected. The camera is 9 feet off the ground and it’s around 30 feet to the large bush. Nothing down the driveway is detected but cars on the street are.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a combination of distance (20-25 feet max for people) and motion across the FOV being needed. Something coming down the drive is pretty much at the camera, not across the FOV. Cars on the street can be reflecting the sun's IR which is detectable at greater distances but are problematic without rotating the camera view down to eliminate the street from the view. In addition, I would try to move the camera closer to the location wher motion is needed to be detected.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Abmet,

Motion detection works best when the camera is positioned 10-15 feet (3.0-4.6 meters) of where motion is expected. Take a look at this article for tips on positioning your Arlo cameras for best performance: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free, ...

JamesC

Abmet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks JamesC, I had read that information and it was helpful.  I was hoping some of the experts could review the image and make any suggetions to improve the the motion detection for my specific location.

brh
Master
Master

@Abmet

For best results you want the object/objects that you want to detect to be moving across the face of the camera. From left to right or from right to left. 

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a combination of distance (20-25 feet max for people) and motion across the FOV being needed. Something coming down the drive is pretty much at the camera, not across the FOV. Cars on the street can be reflecting the sun's IR which is detectable at greater distances but are problematic without rotating the camera view down to eliminate the street from the view. In addition, I would try to move the camera closer to the location wher motion is needed to be detected.

Abmet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you all for the help and information.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation