Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
harleyguy1955
Tutor
Tutor

I finally have set up 3 of my Arlo Pro cameras on my house.  I have a set of 5, and will be setting up other two soon.  I have an older home, and the soffett of my home is 1/2" above the brick molding of my home.  I wanted to set up one of my cameras to view anyone ringing my door bell.  I have a situation with some angles in my home, where it makes it difficult to mount my cameras to get a clear view of anyone at my front door.  I can see people coming up to my front door with one of my cameras.  I could mount one about 2 feet off to the side, however, anyone could step up on a brick planter, and steel the camera.  Of course, I would have it on video 🙂  I see there another system out there, called Ring.  Looks like it is a door bell, with a camera, and I assume you can mount it directly  on your home, making it difficult to rip off.  Does Arol have any plans in the future, developing a similar camera.  What I really would like, would be to mount a camera between my glass storm door, and my main door, where I could then see a head on shot of who is at my door.  I do not even care about them ringing the device, they can use my regular door bell.  I also know from reading that the my cameras get better motion activation with the cameras not head-on.  Just curious if a product may be in development.  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@harleyguy1955

If you go over to the Idea Exchange and you will see this has been requested already. Give that post a Kudo as the more Kudos a post has, the more chances it has of being implemented. Also look at the post I posted for plastic security cases and view the pictures. Although ugly, my mounts would take a little time to unscrew and it was a very inexpensive solution. If you like my idea,Kudo it also.

As far as Ring goes, they seem to have some nice devices and ideas, but they seem to be moving closer to a closed system as far as playing ball with other IOT like Smartthings. If Arlo had not integrated with Smartthings, I would not have purchased their system. For now Ring is ok, but I don't know if their company outlook will change in the future.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Another option that may be available to you is the Q camera....

the Q cam WILL work thru glase as the detection priciple is pixel change based ( as opposed to a PIR ).

If you have a window that is close to the front door that may work for you ( inside )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

harleyguy1955 wrote:

I could mount one about 2 feet off to the side, however, anyone could step up on a brick planter, and steel the camera. .

I have the same situation with camera placement. I'm going to end up mounting on the wall to the side of the door, it'll be still within arms reach of someone leaning off the porch. I'll use a swivel mount that screws into the threaded hole of the camera to slow down a burglar, maybe with some red Lock-Tite to make it hard to unscrew the mount. I have an extra battery so can open the case and change battery without needing to unscrew the camera off the mount. 

harleyguy1955
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for getting back to me.  I will probably do something similar.  If someone wants to steal anything, they will always find a way, but at least we will have them on camera.  Have a great day.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I made the suggestion of an Arlo doorbell device ages ago, especially while Ring seems to be having so many problems. No idea if Netgear actually considered it.

I've got 11 cameras, many at face height. All only on magnetic mounts. I've always wondered about camera theft but nobody's even noticed the cameras let alone looked at them multiple times for stealing. As you said, at least you'll have them on camera when/if they steal them

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation