Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 cameras with base station: cameras suddenly missing.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have four Arlo Pro 2 cameras connected to a base station, and have never had a problem with them. Suddenly, today, I went to log in and check my cameras because I heard some strange noises outside, and my two exterior cameras are missing from my app. I tried installing the app on another phone and logging in, and they also do not show up there. I then logged into the Arlo web interface using my computer, and the cameras do not show up on there either. All of the recordings are gone along with the two missing cameras. I am absolutely certain I did nothing to remove them. Did I get hacked?

14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rather doubtful that you've been hacked but changing your password and making sure you're using 2FA would be good insurance.

I've seen at least one other post (maybe more) about missing cameras seemingly being mysteriously deleted. No idea what may be causing that other than 1) inadvertent deletion (I know you said you're sure you didn't do it) or 2) something about the backend corrupting your account. Have you tried adding one back in? Any error messages or other problems?

arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have done nothing to the account. I tried reaching out to support, but apparently I'm not eligible for support outside the forums because I don't pay for a subscription (which seems entirely unfair, by the way, after spending hundreds of dollars on a security system).

It blows my mind that there's not so much as an audit log built into this thing to show various account actions, at least critical ones like adding/removing devices, deleting videos, etc. I guess I was hoping maybe someone from Arlo would chime in and offer to check on the back end to see what happened as I've seen them do with other similar issues. In the meantime, I didn't want to do anything that would potentially obscure any such data that may be available.

arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgot to address your other points, specifically:

1) I have 2FA enabled and use very secure passwords.

2) I'm absolutely certain I did not delete them. One day, they're there and working fine, and the next, they're just gone -- all recordings included.

3) The last update to the Arlo software was about 3 weeks ago on 2/16. I could understand an update leading to some sort of inconsistency or issue that may result in something like this, but I would expect that any such error would happen immediately following the update, not weeks afterward.

Primarily, the most concerning thing is that it's my two *exterior* cameras that are affected. Coincidental, perhaps, but chilling none the less.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It’s also feasible for an arlo employee to accidentally remove the cameras.

You can private message an arlo moderator @JamesC or @ShayneS about your experience.

I would expect arlo would want to stamp this out before it gets out of hand.

arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why would an Arlo employee be in my account messing with my devices? That sounds extremely invasive if that's the case. Until now, I've never requested any type of support, and nobody has access to my account but me. Additionally, I've not made any changes to my system for over a year now.

arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

P.S. I forgot to mention @DannyBearAgain: I sent private messages to both of those people you mentioned letting them know you suggested that I reach out to them. I explained briefly what happened and provided a link to this post.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlocamguy,

Arlo employees do not have access to remove cameras from your account. Additionally, you have no recent support ticket history associated with your Arlo account. You can check Settings > Privacy Center within the mobile app to see if there any active sessions that you do not recognize.

Have you tried to add the cameras back to your account?

JamesC

arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC  No, I've not done anything. I am hoping somebody can provide an audit log of some sort to show how/when/why the cameras were removed.

arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC  Nothing out of the ordinary in my sessions. Only my two phones logged into the account.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlocamguy,

This information is not logged beyond the sessions shown in privacy center.

Are both sessions devices you are familiar with? Is it possible someone else that monitors your account or uses one or both of those devices inadvertently removed the cameras?

JamesC

arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

One is my personal phone, the other is a phone I use for business. Both belong to me, and nobody has access to them but me. Nobody else has access to my account.

arlocamguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

So... nothing? My cameras and all my recordings just disappear for no reason and Arlo won't provide support because I don't pay for a subscription I don't need, despite spending over $700 on a 4-camera system?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I suggest trying to add one of the cameras back.  Make sure it is fully charged first.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlocamguy,

I've opened a support ticket (43389818) including the details you've posted here on the community. You can review your ticket status under Settings > Support within the Arlo Secure mobile app. An agent will reach out to you to gather more information as soon as possible.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation