Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 camera replacement

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AllUsedUp
Tutor
Tutor

I have 5 Pro 2 cameras and one of them will not connect to the internet.  Used to work fine.  The message I get is "Your Arlo device appears offline." etc.
Can I replace that camera with a newer model that can do the same thing such as storing images on a SmartHub or Base Station?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, Many can connect to your WiFi as well as to a base or hub as long as the base is at least a VMB4000. However, any new camera requires a subscription for cloud recordings so you'd have 4 Pro 2s on the free 7 day plan and one that would eventually need a single camera sub (after the trial sub expires).

The offline message may be due to various things such as a dead battery or something wrong with the connection. Have you recharged the battery as well as bringing it closer to your base? You may want to try removing and reconnecting the camera from/to your account.

AllUsedUp
Tutor
Tutor

I am going to check on it tomorrow morning.  I do have battery chargers connected to each camera and so far for the past several weeks they have performed just fine.  So, if I connect a newer camera I will have to pay a monthly fee to see any activity it senses?

AllUsedUp
Tutor
Tutor

If I do not use the cloud then a replacement camera (say Pro3 for example) there would not be any monthly fee?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

With no subscriptions, there's no charge. ANy camera would have to be connected to a SmartHub for local recordings. Whether that would be useful for you is a personal choice since there's a significant difference between using cloud and local recordings.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AllUsedUp wrote:

If I do not use the cloud then a replacement camera (say Pro3 for example) there would not be any monthly fee?

Let's make sure you aren't using the cloud now.  Lots of Pro/Pro 2 customers are using it w/o realizing that.

Your Pro 2 cameras have free 7-day cloud storage.  If you have a VMB3xxx, VMB4000, or VMB4500 base then all the recordings you see are stored in the cloud.

The only bases that support direct access to your local recordings are the VMB4540 and VMB5000.  There are a lot of limitations with that feature (IMO it delivers a rather poor user experience):

1. Recordings only available from the app (not the browser)
  2. Recordings only available from the main account (not shared accounts)
  3. No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  4. No thumbnails - videos need to be downloaded to see anything.
  5. Remote access requires router setting changes, which many find difficult.  Plus it won't work with some internet service providers.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation