Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 alerts me to motion but does not record the motion

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
smax360
Guide
Guide

Model: Arlo Pro 2 

HW version: VMB3010R2

Firmware: 1.9.8.0_16666

My Arlo Pro 2 can sense motion but it is not recording video. I can still select the Live streaming option and the camera will stream video / audio, but not record video. The "running man" icon is black for the camera, so it's connected to the account.

The camera is set to "record camera on motion" if the following (yes) "motion is detected". 

I've tried the following solutions without success

• checked for firmware updates
  • unplugged Arlo Pro 2 from power source and only run on battery power
  • cleared all previous videos from storage to free space for new videos
  • restarted Arlo base station
  • removed Arlo Pro 2 device from Arlo account and base station, resynced with Arlo base station and restarted Arlo base station.

Any other ideas I'm missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
smax360
Guide
Guide

Hi all,

First, thanks for all of the help. The solution was to remove the battery from the Alro Pro 2 and just run it on AC power via an outlet. I have not tried reinserting the battery to the camera but so far it's working OK on AC power.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

Do you have the Arlo app installed on a smartphone or tablet? Test this, turn on push notifications. Walk in front of the camera, within no more than 3 seconds you should hear a notification on your phone/tablet. That at least tells you if the camera is detecting movement, connecting to the base station and the rest of the system is sending out notifications. 

In Device mode, for that camera there is Motion Testing mode, the blue lights on the front of the camera will illuminate when you move in front of the camera and motion is detected. No video is recorded though. 

Just a thought, are you saying motion is detected but you are in motion detection testing mode? Then no video will be recorded.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I would edit your recording mode and delete the rule pertaining to that camera. Then create a new rule from scratch for that camera and see how it goes

smax360
Guide
Guide

Thanks Steve. I tried deleting the mode for motion sensing, then re-created the rule. It sill notifies of motion, including notifications in the Arlo app and the blue LED sensor flashes, but does not record video.

smax360
Guide
Guide

The Arlo app is installed on an iphone. It was working normally for several weeks but quit overnight about a week ago. During normal recording mode, I walked in front of the camera and got a notifcation in the app of motion sensing, but no video recorded.  I turned on motion testing mode and the blue LED light flashed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some folks recently have been reporting that they have to log out and back in to see the new video. Does that work for you?

smax360
Guide
Guide

I've logged out of the app and website account several times. No luck with the camera updating.

smax360
Guide
Guide

What's the best way to open a support case with Netgear for an official answer to this technical issue?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

@smax360 wrote:

What's the best way to open a support case with Netgear for an official answer to this technical issue?

Scroll to the bottom of this page and there's a button that says "Contact Support". Click that and follow through there

smax360
Guide
Guide

Hi all,

First, thanks for all of the help. The solution was to remove the battery from the Alro Pro 2 and just run it on AC power via an outlet. I have not tried reinserting the battery to the camera but so far it's working OK on AC power.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You have a warranty to get this working as it should. Don't keep working around faulty hardware. Open a case with support here or pursue an existing case.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation