Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Still Image - Snapshot vs Screenshot

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just purchased a Pro 2 on Friday and installed it over the weekend.  Not really all that impressed.  While testing, I discovered yet another Pro 2 image quality problem, this one involving snapshots.  I noticed that snapshots taken in the app of the Pro 2 actually suffered a degredation of quality relative to the quality of the live video stream.   To test the theory, I took a snapshop using the app of my Pro 2, and also did a screen grab of the live stream in full screen.  The result?  The iPhone screenshot wins hands down with more detail and fewer compression artifacts.

Snapshot taken in Arlo app during live viewing of camera.

Snapshot in Arlo AppSnapshot in Arlo App

iPhone 8 Screenshot during live viewing.

IMG_0475.png

So far the Arlo 2's aren't impressing me much, especially considering the cost.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If i remember right, the Snapshot is taken from a single video frame, so of course a single frame quality would be less than a screen shot of the actual video

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Your explanation, while appreciated is technically incorrect.  As the camera is 1080p, it means the video is progressive scan.  With progressive scan, each frame carries 100% of the image data, as opposed to 1080i with interlaced frames where each frame contains 50% of the image data (every other horizontal line).  Since each frame of progressive scan video contains the a full frame of data, a frame grab should be just as good as the decoded live video.  This is not the case here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation