Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Setup for Extended Vacation (6 months)

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gdmercad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Currently have 3 Arlo Pro 2 cameras installed and am looking at setup for the basestation, cameras, and wifi modem as follows:

All items (except modem) plugged into individual Wemo smart switches, which will allow me to cycle off/on individual items when necessary. Arlo cameras will have batteries removed and only on house power allowing power on/off cycling, as needed . Modem can be restarted remotely through the internet, if needed. 

Questions: Can camera firmware updates occur with batteries removed and camera plugged into house power? Will powering the cameras off/on have the same result as opening the battery access door, removing battery and reinserting? I have noticed a door switch on the camera and made me think about that question. Any other recommendation would be deeply appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If powered by ac, there should be no issues with updates... usu that is an issue if power level is below 45% or so.

( but I would leave the batteries in as a powered backup, will not harm battery )

I would also use a  UPS on the base so power issues do not effect base unit... but the wemo outlet will work

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
gdmercad
Aspirant
Aspirant

My thinking about leaving the batteries out of the cameras is that if left in I would not be able to power on/off the unit with the Wemo switch, if needed.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@gdmercad wrote:

My thinking about leaving the batteries out of the cameras is that if left in I would not be able to power on/off the unit with the Wemo switch, if needed.

correct, but if the cameras lose sync all the wemo's in the world prob won't fix it ... it will take a physical intervention.

generally, I've never had to power cycle the cameras in the 3 yrs+ of running as long as the base is powered.

( exception is direct connect like Q cam )

If the cameras are powered AND the base is powered even without internet, the cameras should stay sync'ed to the base... if the base is offline for to long they can lose sync

but sounds like you have a handle on the issues

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation