Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Security Mount with Lock Example

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GOJJGO
Guide
Guide

Here is what I came up with to provide some additional security to my Arlo Pro 2 camera mounted to the Security Mount.  Materials includes (2) White Adhisive Anchors from a GoPro Surfboard Kit, , (4) 100lb Outdoor Wire Ties, and a MasterLock Retractable Bike Lock.  Nothing a good pair of wire cutters can't get around, but enough to make it harder for someone to steal the camera.  Also included is a Weatherproof Outdoor Quick Charge 3.0 Power Adapter which is required if you want to setup motion zones (highly recommended) for your camera and also if you want to use CVR (Continous Video Recording).   

Still would like to see Netgear come up wtih a better solution considering how expensive these cameras are.

Arlo.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GOJJGO,

Thanks for sharing with the community. There are discussions in the Arlo Idea Exchange about adding more accessories to the Arlo product line. I encourage you to visit these discussions and support them by adding Kudos.

JamesC

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@GOJJGOwrote:

Still would like to see Netgear come up wtih a better solution considering how expensive these cameras are.

Agree, on the Arlo Pro 2, the threaded hole is too close to the magnetic mount, any screw or bolt head interferes with the magnetic socket seating fully onto a ball. Then when using a screw-on mount, there is nothing to slow down a thief. I tried to make a simple, really low profile cable with 1/16" cable and aluminum ferrules but the bolt head needs to be filed down. A 1/4" screw with coarse 20 thread didn't work either, the threaded hole is too close to the magnetic mount (see second photo below). 

When using a threaded mount I put a small coarse 20 nut on the threaded shaft and tightened it up against the camera like a lock nut plus put Lock-Tite in the threaded socket on the camera. This will stop someone who gives up after 3 seconds trying to steal the camera, but give them 5 seconds to figure it out and the camera will be gone. 

PS. @GOJJGO, your power wire seems vulnerable, I would suggest strapping it to the mount post with a nylon tie strap to make it  harder to unplug the power to the camera or someone with a stick just knocking the connector out of the camera as it's just push-in USB with no lock. 

ArloPro2cable.JPGArloPro2cable_interference.JPG

GOJJGO
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion on securing the power cable!  🙂

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation