Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Recording False Alerts

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
REO45
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any way to eliminate false alerts from trees blowing in the wind since you can't set an Activity Zone unless plugged in.  Not very practical for outdoor use.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's all about positioning and perhaps sensitivity settings. Try to eliminate the trees from the view and reduce sensitivity as much as practical.

REO45
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.  Eliminating the trees from view is not an option in my case; but, I will be experimenting with sensitivity settings.  My understanding of the way that works though leads to sacrificing depth of field in sensitivity in order to solve the problem.  Another words, as you reduce the sensitivity setting does that reduce the distance from the camera where you can pick up motion?  Too bad the Activity Zone concept is not available in battery mode.  That would seem to be the solution?  Also, would zooming the view help?  Or does that not reduce the sensitivity zone?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Zooming won't help since that only affects the camera, not the PIR sensor. 

There are more possibilities than just sensitivity. Positioning is key - there may be other locations you could place the camera to cover thearea of interest. Rotating the camera some could be useful, too. A second camera could be useful to detect motion and cause te main camera to record:

cam1 detects, cam1 records

cam1 detects, cam2 records

cam2 detects, cam2 records

cam2 detects cam1 records

REO45
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am continuing to experiment with sensitivity and positioning to see if that will help.  Rotating the camera a bit is interesting, to get the tree branches out of field of view?  2nd camera?? I guess I don't understand how that would work? I thought all cameras worked independently in the system.  I have five cameras operating now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In my previous post, there is a basic layout of a new mode/rule that you could create so that one camera could detect motion and cause another to trigger as well as to record on its own. Read the FAQs here on creating modes and rules. Basically, use the Mode tab, click on your base and check out the default Armed mode (which you can only partially customize) as well as the Add a Mode selction that allows you to create your own custom mode with appropriate rules.

-DB
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have actually set up a couple of zones within two of my cameras and they both are still picking up cars driving by or trees moving. So I dont know what I am doing wrong, but the zones do not seem to work. Unless I have them set up wrong?
REO45
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it, at least the concept.  I am going to continue experimenting with sensitivity and then if that does not meet my needs I will try your idea of setting up a new mode/rule.  Thanks for your help.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation