Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
caatch
Tutor
Tutor

Has there ever been a solution for the Pro 2 image resolution issue?

When set to best quality and the subject in the center of the image about 6-8 feet away, the video is impossible to identify the person if you did not already know them. So if you wanted to be able to provide a usable image to the police, this is not the product. The image artifacts look like compression issues. I tried putting in a USB drive, thinking that there is no reason to compress when writing directly to a jump drive, but the image is the same. so the issue is probably bandwidth between the camera and the base station. If this is the best they can do I would not recommend it, and will let my friends and neighbors know. I would rather have a reduced frame rate and better image quality or even putting uncompressed video on the jump drive would be somewhat acceptable. Another option, if bandwidth is the issue, would be to allow the user to select a smaller FOV to get image quality.

I do like the GUI, but performance is far more important for home security.

5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Can you post a sample video? My Pro2 camera can resolve a car licence plate at about 30 feet during the day

caatch
Tutor
Tutor

Here is an example. Also note the blurring of the brick pavers to the right. I does seem to improve if the person stops for a second or so. things that do not move have better resolution.

This tool will not let me attach the video so here is an image

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yeah, that'll be the compression then. Unfortunately, 1080p resolution doesn't mean blu-ray quality video as the bitrate has to be significantly less for these cameras

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Agreed. BTW, adding a link to a video works fine here.

caatch
Tutor
Tutor

It would be nicer if the frame rate was reduced to up the image quality except when live connection is established and if the USB jump drive storage was not compressed or at least better quality. The market will judge the product in the long run.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation