Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Not Recording To The Set Record Time

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Dsensat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought the arlo pro 2 with 4 cameras about 2 weeks ago and they are real inconsistent. I set the recording time to 120 and sometimes they will cut off at different times like maybe 20 seconds or sometimes 15 and then if it records the full 120 it becomes real pixelated after about 30 seconds or sometimes from the very start. Is anyone else having this problem?  I wish I would have done more research and read all the reviews of people having problems with these cameras.  I am stuck with these for now but as soon as I can they will be replaced with something else. 

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pixelation and short recordings tend to point to a signal problem, whether a weak signal or interference by some other 2.4GHz device nearby (if it happens on all cameras, look near the base). Sometimes moving the base away from the router helps.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Dsensat,

Is this happening with all 4 cameras or just one? Also if you bring the trouble cameras closer to the Base Station and test record again does the problem still persist?

Dsensat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you jguerdat for your reply. I have three of the cameras on the outside in front of the house and one inside in the kitchen where the base an router are located aimed at the back door. The three on the outside are the ones that seem to give me the most problems and two out of the three have good signals but was having the same problem in all three. The one on the inside I only use when no one is home but the problem doesn’t seem to be as bad on that one. I did like you said and moved the router away from the base and that did seem to help some.

Dsensat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi ShayneS

I have been noticing that the problems I am having are at different times of the day mostly in the evening and when it happens it’s with all the cameras except sometimes not so much with the one I have in the house that’s in the same room with the Base Station so I’m thinking there is some kind of signal interference. My daughter had got the Arlo Pro because because of the problems she read about the Pro 2. I asked her if she was having the same problem and when she said no I just assumed it was a fault with the cameras. Actually when they are working they  are quite good so I didn’t mean to put them down. Thanks for your reply 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Dsensat

What is your internet speed with you ISP? like jguerdat said,It does sound like an interference issue. I there a possibility your bandwidth is being used by multiple devices around the time of day the issues are present?

Dsensat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi ShayneS

I think I have my problem figured out. I have noticed that every now and then when surfing the internet my internet connection would drop but come right back. But yesterday it dropped and won’t come back on. We called at&t and they are having a service tech coming out tomorrow. I think my modem died on me. Thank you and jguerdat for your replies and directing me in the right direction.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Dsensat,

You are very welcome, feel free to ask the community questions anytime.

Dsensat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello ShaneS

I had my internet problem taken care of but the problem still persist. I was wondering if it could be a problem in the base station?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Dsensat,

Is it possible to bring the cameras that are giving you the issue inside, closer to the base station and test from there?

Dsensat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi ShayneS

I was wanting to relocate one of my cameras and the location was near the base station and it was one that I was really having trouble with. When I did that I noticed that all 4 cameras were running the full length I set them for so I got to thinking when I had it in the old location I had two or maybe three running at the same time so I set two of them to run at the same time and that problem returned so I guess that was the cause of that problem. I'm still having trouble with the playback becoming pixelated on all cameras. It happens about 50 seconds into the playback. Any ideas of what to try next? I was actually more concerned about them cutting off too soon but would like to fix this problem if I could.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's your Internet upload speed as measured by speedtest.net? A low speed with multiple cameras streaming at the same time can cause this.

Dsensat
Aspirant
Aspirant
I ran the speed test and the upload was 1.06
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can try dropping the resolution for each camera to the middle or lowest levels to see if things improve. Otherwise, you may need to increase you ISP connection.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation