Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Motion Detection picks up randomly

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
LKool89
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am new to Arlo and am still trying to figure it out.  I have one camera located above my backyard deck.  It seems to pick up motion randomly.  I have attached 2 photos, one of what it is looking at and one is a screen grab of what it detected.  You will notice in the circle is the back end of a truck as it is leaving...it didn't pick it up coming in or when it first started to leave.  There are times when it has but the former is mostly what has been happening.  I've also seen joggers, walkers etc..but not consistently.  I do have a skin on but I don't think that a problem.   I've played with the sensitivty for days, rescynched it etc. etc.    Any suggestions?

ViewViewMotionMotion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Two main issues:

1) There is a 2-3 second lag between motion detection and the beginning of recording. This is due to the detection waking the camera, then communicating with the base and hence to the cloud servers, all to start the recording. Camera positioning is important to minimize the lag as much as possible.

2) Motion detection is based on people. You basically are trying to see too much - rotate the camera down to eliminate the street. There's little reason to try to capture things that really aren't of interest so you can concentrate on those areas that matter (doors, windows, gates, walkways to each, etc.). You may need to move the camera some to get the proper view of the patio and door while eliminating the extraneous motion sources.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Two main issues:

1) There is a 2-3 second lag between motion detection and the beginning of recording. This is due to the detection waking the camera, then communicating with the base and hence to the cloud servers, all to start the recording. Camera positioning is important to minimize the lag as much as possible.

2) Motion detection is based on people. You basically are trying to see too much - rotate the camera down to eliminate the street. There's little reason to try to capture things that really aren't of interest so you can concentrate on those areas that matter (doors, windows, gates, walkways to each, etc.). You may need to move the camera some to get the proper view of the patio and door while eliminating the extraneous motion sources.

LKool89
Aspirant
Aspirant

Definitely makes sense!  Thanks for your help!

AAronR
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have experienced the same thing. I even upgraded to where Arlo claims it only triggers for people. I have been very disappointed with my Arlo ☹️
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation