Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
LotVideoSecurit
Guide
Guide

My outdoor Arlo Pro 2 camera motion detection doesn't detect motion during the hot summer months in Arizona and no recording, but sound detection still detected sounds and recorded sounds and videos. It's mounted under the shade tree. Is there a solution for this or better camera to replace Arlo Pro 2 for outdoor? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Ive noticed that too. Im in fla. If the sun is directly overhead it doesn't seem to pick up people as much. But vehicles it will. I have moved the camera multiple times but no matter what its going to get some direct sunlight. It must have to do with the heat. Only at 100% will it pick up someone walking up my driveway. But at 50 it will if i hose down the driveway with water. Or after a rain it will pick up fine. But at full sun it wont pick up people in my driveway unless i crank up the motion sensitivity to 100. Which then it gets every car and i wind up with 100+ videos a day
LotVideoSecurit
Guide
Guide

The motion sensitivity is set to 100% now. It was working fine with 65% sensitivity during the cooler months, and it detected and recorded people walking and cars moving within the perimeter. The motion detection didn't detect and record anything during the hot summer months, but the sound detection still working fine in summer though. It's weird... 

I don't schedule it during the day. It is scheduled for night time only...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The motion detect sensor works via the PIR device which can become less able to pick up objects when it is very hot.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
LotVideoSecurit
Guide
Guide

If I understood you correctly, Arlo Pro 2 is rated for outdoor but it is not good for outdoor. Where I mounted it doesn’t expose the sun either. I’m not setting it to detect motion during the hot summer day either. It’s scheduled to detect motion during the cooler summer night. Can I trade it in for a better outdoor camera?

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Theres not really a better camera to trade in for. I have the pro and a pro 2 and they work fine at night. It could be a bad camera or its not setup right. It really takes alot of playing with the angle to get it right. Remember it detects better from side to side not directly in front of camera view. I spent hours getting mine right . they are very sensitive . even when i plug in to recharge i have to be careful not to move it or it goes back to not picking up motion
LotVideoSecurit
Guide
Guide

But it used to work fine at the same location, setup and lower motion sensitivity setting before summer. The motion sensitivity is set to 100% now, and it still doesn't detect motion. I think that this camera cannot handle Arizona summer heat.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation