Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Jhalaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

The manual says you can change timezones and detection areas per camera by selecting Mode on the App or on the computer and a list of cameras displays.  However; when i click mode the only thing that displays is my base station and what condition it is in.  I have 4 cameras connected to the system and 2 of them I would like to set to detect 24/7, the other 2 need to be on a geo fence to arm and disarm becasue those entrances are used all the time. 

13 REPLIES 13
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

You are almost there, over on the right hand side of a mode, there is a ">" arrow, click on that to see settings for each of your 4 cameras in that mode. For each mode you can customize how each camera works. For instance in my setup the audio pickup on one camera triggers recording when it's windy outside so I have a "windy" mode where most of the cameras operate the same but on the one camera exposed to gusts of wind I disable audio detection. It's pretty neat that the camera settings are set by mode rather than under "device". 

Check out the Geofencing mode, it should be there stock or you can create your new geofencing mode. Customize the 2 cameras you want disabled when you are home. I have one mode so that when I am home the interior camera turns off. 

Modes.JPG

green_dude
Aspirant
Aspirant

I must be a bit on the unskilled side of technology....

Could you give a more detailed explaination?

I have less than a week to get something similar done.

(one indoor with geofencing and three outdoors armed 24/7)

If I can't get something figured out I'll have to return it as its no good to me as is.

Thanks!

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

Setting up Geofencing can only be done for some reason on cellphones or tablets. Start there. I'm working on something else tonight so can't look up the steps. However 1) setup geofencing on your cellphone or tablet for the one camera, then 2) setup a new mode (or use the geofencing one that is already there) to specify what each camera needs to do when triggered by geofencing, sound detection or motion detection. 

A backup situation which is what I did when I was away and hadn't figured out how to disable the interior camera was when the family was home, I'd manually diable the interior camera inside the house then re-enabled remotely when the family was out of the house. Not a great solution but worked for the week I was away. 

Jhalaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

This still doesn't allow me to individually setup each camera to it's own timezone? it allows me to link cameras together, but if for instance my front door (which I hardly use) I want to be Armed for motion 24/7, so i can see when packages are delievered or someone comes to the door.  However my Garage door which we go in and out of all day I want to be armed only from 8pm to 7am or I want to manually disarm the side door but leave the front door armed.  I do not see how you can do that.

Even if I setup a custom mode and create one for each camera I cannot enable more than one mode at a time.  I also cannot create custom modes and enable or disable individual cameras from a schedule within that custom mode. 

I am a security professional and with most intelligent systems this is a must it is almost like I would need 2 base stations and which ever I wanted to have on 24/7 I would need on one and which ever cameras i wanted on a schedule i would need a second base station.  This should be a simple programming fix.

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@Jhalautwrote:

The manual says you can change timezones and detection areas per camera by selecting Mode on the App or on the computer and a list of cameras displays.  However; when i click mode the only thing that displays is my base station and what condition it is in.  I have 4 cameras connected to the system and 2 of them I would like to set to detect 24/7, the other 2 need to be on a geo fence to arm and disarm becasue those entrances are used all the time. 

Ah OK, your last post explains what you mean by "time zone". I understood originally that to meant you wanted to adjust the time zone so your system was reporting incidents in a different time zone than where you live. So for instance, say you live in Los Angeles, USA and travel to Tokyo, that  you wanted the times of recordings reported in the Tokyo time zone for easy reference while overseas. That kind of time zone. 

What you need is a schedule for when the cameras are on and off. You also mentioned geofencing which would have given you what you wanted. So when a particular cellphone was in or out of the vicinity of the house then certain cameras would be armed or disarmed. This is setup in Mode > Edit device. I think you can still achieve what you want with geofencing and ignore the time scheduling for cameras. 

Or if it's a matter of too many notificatons coming in by email and sounds on your cellphone, you can turn off email and/or sound notifications. 

Regarding scheduling I'll have to leave that to others, I haven't figured out how to schedule on/off by time. 

Jhalaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is still an all or none on the GeoFencing.  Yes i can turn off notifications but then i would have to go in an turn on notifications at night when i want them to work and send notifications.

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@Jhalautwrote:

It is still an all or none on the GeoFencing.  

Need some more clarity on "all or none". Do you mean geofencing turns all cameras on or off? I had setup but don't use geofencing because it didn't work well with two cellphones, mine and my wife's. When I did try it though, here was the rule that I setup and it worked when I had it running.:

Cellphone away from house: All 4 cameras armed, 3 outside, 1 inside monitoring a door

Cellphone in vicinity of house, 3 outside cameras armed, the one inside not armed. 

So rather than a time schedule, it was cued to me being at or away from home so more flexible than a fixed time schedule. Is there a particular cellphone you can cue for geofencing? Likely the last person to leave the house and the first person to return so the cameras you want off get turned off, but are armed otherwise. 

So for me it wasn't an all or none situation, it was all sometimes, some sometimes. 

Jhalaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found a work around for the problem, to do it i had to add a mode call it perimeter home, inside that mode i had to add a rule for each camera.  Then i had to add a second Mode call it perimeter away inside that mode i had to add a rule for each camera.  Then you can use these mode in a shedule or in a geofencing application

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, that's the way to do it. It's kind of ambigous but Modes are quite flexible. I have two modes, regular and windy. On windy days the audio detection creates too many recordings. So I switch to windy mode and motion detecton on some cameras is reduced (shaking from the wind) and audio detection is disabled on cameras exposed to wind, but audio detection is left unchanged on the sheltered cameras. Geofencing does the same thing, selects between modes depending on if the cellphone is in or out of the zone.  Glad you got it figured out. 

If you have time, do submit a feature request for time scheduling. That would be a handy option..

green_dude
Aspirant
Aspirant

It would be so much easier if each camera could be set up individualy. I may have to return this kit and look for a system that is more user friendly.

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@green_dudewrote:

It would be so much easier if each camera could be set up individualy. I may have to return this kit and look for a system that is more user friendly.

Not sure what you mean about setting up cameras individual. In a Mode, if you have 4 cameras, you can set each one up separately as to what the camear does when it detects motion, detects audio and whether or not it sends push notifications or sends an email. Motion detection zones are setup individually per camera. If you have multiple modes, you can have each camera do something different. Also motion detection by one camera can trigger recording by another camera.

It might help if you explain what you are trying to achieve rather than state a shortcoming. What type of area are you monitoring and what triggers (motion or audio) do you want to start recording?  

green_dude
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok,  what I am trying to do is set up one camera inside to use geofencing, and the other three to be set up outside to be armed 24/7. Thanks!

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@green_dudewrote:

Ok,  what I am trying to do is set up one camera inside to use geofencing, and the other three to be set up outside to be armed 24/7. Thanks! 

OK, everything is done under Mode. I've since moved my 4th camera from inside the house to the garage. But when I was using geofencing, this was my setup. Do all this on your cellphone when you are at home (to define your "home" location").

1. Setup a new mode named "Interior camera off". It's kind of counter intuitive, but in this mode set up all 3 outside cameras to record on motion and/or sound. So in this mode, all exterior cameras are active. Your 4th inside camera should not be listed in this mode. You should only have instructions for 3 devices in this "interior camera off" mode. A camera not listed does nothing.

2. Setup a second new mode "Interior camera on". In this mode, setup all four cameras to record on motion and/or sound. This is the mode of operation when you are away.

3. In the Geofencing mode, the map shows your location at home. In the section Select Mode, for away select the mode "Interior camera on". For home, select the mode "Interior camera off". I used those name because it was description of what the cameras were doing instead of "home" and "away". 

That should work. Try it with one cellphone first, confirm it works before adding the second cellphone to geofencing. Change one thing at a time otherwise when something doesn't work, you won't know which of multiple changes caused the problem. I say this because when I added my wife's cellphone to geofencing, the system would not react to her phone. Having addd one phone at a time I know it's something to do with her phone. I never did resolve it and ended up moving the inside camera to the garage. 

Hope that works for you. 

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation