Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
ndceltic67
Follower
Follower

I'm having an issue with the sensitivity of the motion detection feature on my Arlo Pro 2 cameras. I have them positioned correctly and the sensitivity settings are at the default 80% but they consistently miss motion.

Case in point, I've had UPS and USPS deliver packages to my door or dropped off at my garage, and nothing was recorded. However, when I go to get the packages or when I pull into my driveway (or even if someone drives past my driveway) it records. This shakes my confidence that it actually has the ability to effectively record any criminal activity.

Also, I have my camera's set to only stop recording when motion stops, but there have been many instances where my dogs in the yard will begin the camera to record, but it will stop while they are still in the yard moving. Unfortunately I no longer have the original packing or I'd consider returning the system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

two things...

First, Most of my cameras run at about 90% or slighty higher... so try and raise the sense level ( higher number is more )

Also try an eliminate the roadway so cars passing by don't set the cameras off... the PIR is good to a max of about 25 feet for people so keep the camera view in that area ( cars will be picked up farther away as they are a good reflector of IR )

Second, I haven't found the record till motion stops to be the best choice... it seems the camera records about 16 secs or so and stops if it appears to the cam there is no motion... and then it resets which can take 10 secs.

I've alway found it best to use a set time for the location.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

two things...

First, Most of my cameras run at about 90% or slighty higher... so try and raise the sense level ( higher number is more )

Also try an eliminate the roadway so cars passing by don't set the cameras off... the PIR is good to a max of about 25 feet for people so keep the camera view in that area ( cars will be picked up farther away as they are a good reflector of IR )

Second, I haven't found the record till motion stops to be the best choice... it seems the camera records about 16 secs or so and stops if it appears to the cam there is no motion... and then it resets which can take 10 secs.

I've alway found it best to use a set time for the location.

Morse is faster than texting!
WendyF
Guide
Guide

I am having the same problem. I have the sensitivity up to 100.  Audio is on 3. If I turn up the audio it ends too quickly for motion. I have angled it for the area I want but the motion shuts off before it’s done. I also have it on record until finished. But if the trees blow it will go for 5 minutes. I also find the delay to be long. Is it true there is no delay if I take the battery out and just use it plugged in?  The people motion is within 25 feet. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Motion has to actually continue to keep recording (or audio). After ~ 5 seconds of lack of motion, recording stops as designed. Then there's a reset period of a few seconds after which the camer will record again. Blowing trees keep motion going but people stopping and starting cause the problem. Use the timed recordings instead if this is an issue.

WendyF
Guide
Guide
The motion of people is cutting off while in motion
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the library and share a link to a sample video here so we can see what's going on.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
Often motion doesn’t stop at all, someone walking straight across FOV and recording starts but stops 15-20 seconds later, while person keeps walking. This is a well known flaw, users who choose the “record until activity stops” option should either accept it for what it is or give up and go for the “fixed time” recording. I noticed it (and accepted it) once it became obvious there was no fix for it.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
Is it possible this is only happening to some users or some cameras? Find it hard to believe, have tried it so many times, ever since the Pro came out but always ended up switching back to fixed time recording. Not sure it’s even worth wasting time sharing a link with sample videos.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
It’s just like the original Arlo’s 4-5 secs recording delay, turned out to be unfixable but we’re still living with it.
WendyF
Guide
Guide

I went to settings and took off the targeted area. I’ll see what happens with that. On another note, yesterday the same camera just stopped recording period for about an hour and a half. I rebooted the system and then it worked again.  This is a pro2 camera bought in May. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation