Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
cooltraveler
Star
Star

Just replaced 2 of my 4 Arlo Pro cameras with the Pro 2. Couple of observations

1) Motion sensor set at 100 and it is not as sensitive as the Pro. The Pro was so sensitive that I had to dial it down. With Pro I it was able to trigger the camera each time a car passed my house. With the Pro 2 you have to drive on my drive way before it triggers. This is an isse for my application since I am unable to get it to trigger at my mailbox at the end of my driveway like the original Pro was able to do.

2) Night Vision is not as clear as the original Pro

3) While positioning the camera it went offline. Could not figure out how to get it online other than taking the battery out and putting it back in and re-synced.

Seems 2 out of the 3 ar reported issues. I wonder if anyone is having an issue with the motion detection. I have a 45 day return window... if there is no firmware to resolve by then I will be taking it back.

69 REPLIES 69
Tjmcguiretx
Tutor
Tutor

The new firmware downloaded when I took it out of the box last week, no farther updates posted. My issue is not dropping but the very poor night vision. Took this one down and put back up the P1. If no fix in the next few days will return to Amazon until the issue is addressed. Not spending 213$ for a lesser product. 

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Tjmcguiretx   +1    Netgear is moving like molasses to address all the issues. With so many Im guessing they dont know where to start.....

Tjmcguiretx
Tutor
Tutor

How could you release with worse night vision? The day us great, but night is when most crap happens. Caught 2 guys outside my wife’s car with very clear image in the P1, the P2 would not have produced that image. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

Toy4RickS
Apprentice
Apprentice

James,

Good to hear that R&D is still investigating because none of my cameras were within 2.5 inches of walls...

Rick

Tjmcguiretx
Tutor
Tutor
This is not the issue. I replaced a Pro 1 with the Pro2. The 1 worked fine. I have in fact taken the 2 down and put the 1 back up. It’s clearly a hardware issue and not a set up issue. I have to return this now so I don’t lose $213. As I am sure Netgear will not replace in 3 months when they decide it is hardware and want me to buy a new one to fix it. Poor response. Just waiting until you can’t return as they would have to replace a ton of cameras out there they don’t want to.
Toy4RickS
Apprentice
Apprentice

I actually have real sympathy for James, he had to deliver that very lame message

Only wish Netgear would grow a pair and give us something real rather than post up your boy to take one for the team company

Sorry James, I know you are only doing what you have been told to do

Another frustrated "former" customer.  I returned 5-AP1s to buy 5-AP2s, returned them and can't decide what to do now

Rick

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Actually that was most certainly not addressed to JamesC, it’s directed to Netgear and its Arlo crew who makes use of messengers stalling for solutions and completely denying existence of well known product faults.

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lame message indeed. The ones paying all this money for a security camera system are the loyal customers who have put their faith in Netgear and trusted them with their homes and families and to be toyed with in regards to something like that, at this price point is not ok. Losing a loyal customer normally means you lost them for life....Ring may charge for their services but at least they work and do what they are advertised to do for the most part. So its time to look into alternatives. 

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

Paul_FCCL wrote:

Actually that was most certainly not addressed to JamesC, it’s directed to Netgear and its Arlo crew who makes use of messengers stalling for solutions and completely denying existence of well known product faults.

Glad it's not just me that see's this.

Companies like Netgear beleive they are beyond reproach because they've gotten so big, they arrogance is at such a level that the customer doesn't matter anymore, and it hasn't done for a long time. You would think that the amount of review websites that report a 1/10, 2/10 service rating that are around they would actually try to do something rather than continue to placate customers with nonsense. Sadly I believe the problems and attitude are more ingrained from the top down at CEO level.

I read that response yesterday and I don't actually think it can even be constituted as a response at all, just a bunch of words to distract from the real issues in that nothing is being done or progressed, or that the problem is so inherrent it would involve admitting to an actual fault or potential hardware recall.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Sad indeed. I agree it starts from top level management. If it involves politics and backward thinking then this is what we all get very dis-organize.. You all think Arlo/Netgear is working a resolution about this night vision.. They're not.. To them, there's nothing wrong with AP2's night vision.. Instead, they're coming out with Security lights to solve that problem and of course you pay for it..  I could be wrong but it looks like it.. 

Toy4RickS
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC

Any fix in sight for the night vision issues?

Have the disconnected issues been fixed yet?

I really want to purchase again

Thanks in advance

Rick

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

No and No.   Everything remains the same for me. An inferior product to the Arlo Pro 1 in almost every way. Has better day time video but thats it, and doesnt benefit me if I have to climb a ladder every month to change batteries on several cameras, and the night vision still pretty useless. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I don't have disconnects, but night vision is very poor, very dark compared to arlo pro 1
Mssbjh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there any update to this issue? I'm not really sure if I'm having it since these are my first Arlo cameras, the Pro 2. Can someone post a photo of what night vision should look like?
MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’ve been watching these threads re: night vision particularly. Already have a pro system but fortunately didn’t upgrade to the pro 2 yet. It’s amazing how many threads have the SAME issues but Netgear engineering response is the same week after week (remove skins, don’t place near a wall, etc) despite this having been shown to not help the issue.

I’d encourage folks to not just post here. Instead post/comment/tell the tech world out there CNET, ZDNET, etc. amongst all these people, there must be folks who have contacts in these tech review circles.

Remember. Folks on his board have already paid for Arlo products. netgear has your money. Once the reviewers pick this up and include it as a warning to FUTURE customers, you’ll see Netgear take this seriously.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
This pro 1
MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Johnny290 Thats pretty bad, and you even have plenty of light out there. Theres no reason that picture should look so hazy and grainy. Mines is even worse because my backyard does not have any light even though it shouldnt be an excuse because my arlo Pro 1 looked almost as good as the daytime quality with the same exact conditions. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Pro 2
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Interesting how Netgear deleted my post from Pro 1 so I put it back
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I mean Pro 2 not pro 1
Mssbjh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not good!
jasbur
Aspirant
Aspirant

A shame. I wanted to get my parents an updated system. I'm sure as heck not giving old people buggy tech. I'll keep looking.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm almost 68. Does that qualify as old? Working fine here although there are differences.

Apprentice
Apprentice

Does turning up the brightness to 100% help with the night vision? I have the AP1 and thats what I do to get better viewability. IMO if that doesnt work and it seems there is no remedy forthcoming (just like the outdoor AC adapter and IFTT issues) then file a complaint with the BBB.

Discussion stats