Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
OCCS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought Arlo Pro 2 / 5 Wire-Free HD Security Cameras this weekend,  easy to install; however, there is an average of 1 to 1.5 minutes of lag time in live view and to trigger alerts.  Is this common in this model?  I would understand a few seconds lag, but more than a minute is too much.  Any suggestions?   Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Bigfootcnc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Pro 2 cameras

I have the same problem with mine too. It seems like it started after the last update.

There is also the same lag with the sound. I have resynced all the cameras and rebooted the base station,but nothing seems to help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Lag in notifications is usually due to the cameras being activated in Arlo Smart as well as the app being optimized for battery savings. If you have subscribed to Smart, deactivate the carmera(s) in Smart Manage and Notifications. If you don't subscribe to Smart, use the phone settings for the app to set battery optimization to not optimized.

OCCS
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI Jguerdat, I followed your instructions and the lag time was reduced to 46 seconds.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Which notifications are you using - push or email? What is your upload speed as measured by speedtest.net as well as the latency?

OCCS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, 

I am using push notification and my upload speed is at 0.93 and ping at 116.

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think that's your problem, especially the latency (anything with triple digits is a problem for most networking). Arlo states a minimum of 1Mbps but more is better. Your upload speed is close enough to not argue about but is in the area where it can be a problem.

OCCS
Aspirant
Aspirant

any suggestions on how to improve the latency?  Appreciate all your support and feedback.  Thank you

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It all depends on your ISP and the type of service. You can see if you can subscribe to a higher bandwidth plan but that won't necessarily fix the latency. I would have a chat with them about this issue and see what they offer. You may need to change ISPs in order to get what you need.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I just tested both push and email notifications for one of my locations and the lag was about two seconds from a powered Arlo 2 and push notifications from my battery powered Arlo 2 was also about two seconds .  However, email seemed to be significantly longer on that camera.  After checking, I realized that camera sends email to my AOL email account rather than to my iCloud email.   The AOL email seemed to take 30 seconds to a minute.   iCloud email was just a few seconds.   So the email provider also clearly makes a big difference for those messages.

I have a Arlo Smart Elite plans.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just an FYI, the emails are also only sent after the video is uploaded. Thus, the length of the recording and the upload speed both play into the time the email is sent/received.

Snatario
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI @jguerdat I have the same issue. When I first got the system, I would get. Notification and be able to access a live feed or saved video right away to see what triggered the notification. Without this capability, it is useless. What can be done? It seems like a recent upgrade is to blame. Internet speed currently clocks in at 136Mb/sec.
Thanks!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Snatario

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

LWisneski
Initiate
Initiate
Yes. Purchase a different system. Arlo was great about 2-3 years ago. As time goes on they continue to get worse with no corrective action in sight.
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation