Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2: In direct sunlight. Is overheating. Powered by cord with battery inside still.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Uclaby7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All, I am experiencing the above problem.  I don't want to move the camera due to the excellent viewpoint.  If I remove the Arlo lithium battery and just go corded, will the camera overheat less?  Will it have higher heat tolerance?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What ambient temps are you seeing? With the white case, overheating is rare except in VERY high ambient temps (well over 100 degrees F). Plugging it in may make it worse since it would be awake the whole time while on battery it only wakes when motion is detected.  If overheating, you should get an error message to that effect.

Uclaby7
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat I live in a warmer dry climate in the southern Continental USA. 

My two Arlo Pro 2s are in direct sunlight all day.  I leave here due to the outstanding angles and views I am getting from this vantage point.  I have dual power for both, battery and power cord.  

Sun beating down on cameras in sun I estimate temp is over 100 and stays as such for at least 4 hours a day.  

I have a black silicon skins on both for camouflage purposes.  

Both cameras start "malfunctioning" around when temp warms up.  I get fuzzy recordings.  Loud scratchy and hissing sounds.  

Starting 2 PM, each camera will shut down for 30 minutes on its own about every two or three days. 

I will do the following:

1. I have removed both batteries and am powering both cameras by power cord only.  Because lithium batteries are not very heat resistant.  

2.  I read that there are SPF protecting "screens" or materials that you can buy on Amazon or at Home Depot.  

3.  I might upgrade to Pro 3 or Ultra due to higher temp tolerances. 

I need the camou and the power cord because I have the cameras in a [comparatively] high crime area. 

Any other ideas, let me know...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The black skins may well be the issue here - 1) black and 2) something of an insulator. I'd remove the skin from one for testing to see if there's any difference.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea just as jguerdat said just the black alone attracts heat from the sun. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation