Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 - Exterior Outlet

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
BrandonDeYoung
Initiate
Initiate

I notice the features of the Arlo Pro 2 say it can only be plugged into "indoor" power. Can you confirm that Arlo Pro 2 cannot be plugged into an exterior outlet, like one under an eave used for Christmas lights? This would be a really great plus if it can!

I'm pretty sure I've seen that the Arlo Go can indeed plug into exterior outlets, but this one requires you pay a monthly data fee, rather than simply connecting it to your home's Wi-Fi. Definitely not ideal!

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The outdoor power supply will work fine. Don't use the indoor supply outdoors - it's not sealed.

BretD
Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo Pro 2 can be continuously powered indoors using the supplied indoor power adapter.  At this time we do not support continuous outdoor use with an outdoor power adapter

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
BrandonDeYoung
Initiate
Initiate

Hey Bret, I actually contacted your support team after leaving this message about this. I found out that you can plug the Arlo Pro 2 into continuous power outdoors using this power supply from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-NETGEAR-Outdoor-Power-Adapter/dp/B071K62DZV. Can you confirm this?

I told the person that this is a pretty important point for a lot of scenarios and that it should be more widely known and specified on your website.

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

BretD wrote:

Arlo Pro 2 can be continuously powered indoors using the supplied indoor power adapter.  At this time we do not support continuous outdoor use with an outdoor power adapter

So, Netgear have developed an updated camera that can be used both indoors and outdoors, but you actually can't really use it outside in earnest; please don't say you're still advocating a six month battery life....

Are you also therefore saying that the current Arlo Outdoor power adapter is not compatible? So for example if someone wanted to upgrade to the Arlo Pro 2 from the Arlo Pro and had a "powered setup" they would also need to look at using batteries alone? Netgear are aware that typical battery use is weeks not months..........yes?

Has the connector or voltage changed so that the genuine arlo outdoor power adapter can no longer be used?

Montana1
Tutor
Tutor

Brett- this scenario is my exact application, with the exception of plugging the power supply inside by punching a hole into my garage. I would like to know for certain this setup will work or not. Please advise. Thank you

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Montana1 I've had it confirmed by one of the customer support advocates that all the current Arlo Pro products/accessories will work with the Arlo Pro 2.

Clearly our community manager struggles to get accurate information out of his own people.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation