Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Dead In 3-4 Days After A Charge

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Ryan5508
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 3 wireless cammera setup and two arlo q's.

The arlo pro 2's worked great for the first 3 months until I had to charge them for the first time.

Now they run through a fully charged battery in 3-4 days. Even a camera that is in a very low record spot is doing the same thing. All three cameras are at most 40 foot from the basestation. Two cameras have a 3 bars connection one has a 2 bars connection.

One camera is now dropping connection every day or so as well. I have unplugged the basestation, tried different batteries, resynced all the cameras. All were updated within the last 2 days. Nothing helps.

Only thing I have noticed is I left one camera sitting within 1 foot from the basestation and its still showing 100% after two days. Its sitting in a place where it cannot see any motion.

Is this a basestation or camera issue. Debating just returning them and buying a different brand at this point.

9 REPLIES 9
slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

You could get another base station or a longer RJ45 to extend the range of the wi-fi signal. The lower signal strength the more power it will consume to try and keep a signal. I can only assume it is your signal strength because the odds of getting mutable bad battries are slim. Another thing to keep in mind is that temature effects the lifetime of lithium-ion batteries although I don't think you would see this effect after 3 months unless the cameras were Very hot.
Effect of Temperature on the Aging rate of Li Ion Battery Operating above Room Temperature

Also make sure the Base Station and Cameras firmware are up to date.
Firmware-Release-Notes
The Base Station should be on FW: 1.10.0.9_23037
The Pro 2 cameras should be on FW: 1.125.11.1_25366
The Pro cameras should be on FW: 1.092.0.17_25364
You can check to see what firmware version you are on under the Settings\My Devices and then tap on a device next tap on Device Info.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
Ryan5508
Aspirant
Aspirant
All the cameras are within 35ft from the base station. With only one wall between them.

What i find odd is that this all started after the very first time charging the batteries. Everything was rock solid before this for months. Why the sudden change unless the base is causing the issues?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Ryan5508,

Have you tried to remove & re add the cameras to the base station? Did you make sure that the settings did not change? What is your sensitivity levels? Have the cameras been placed in any new locations since the issue started? 

Ryan5508
Aspirant
Aspirant

All settings are the same as when the system was first setup.

Sensitivity was lowered when first setup to lower false recordings. This is still the same now.

All three cameras are in their original locations.

Basestation is in a central location in my home and only 25ft, 18ft and 35ft from each of the three cameras. 2/3 have full bars of wifi and the camera that get the least use has 2/3 bars of wifi. This camera also lasts the longest.

All three are set to balanced mode.

Basestation is newest firmware

Cameras are all on the newest firmware

Nothing new wifi wise has been added to the home

Removed and readded all cameras and did not help

I purchased the system new. Installed the cameras and had 3 months of no battery problems. Charged all three to 100% per the app. And now its 3-4 days dead, 3-4 days dead.....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, it doesn't have to be WiFi that's an issue with interference - any 2.4GHz device can cause this.

I would remove at least one camera from Settings, My Devices and resync. Be sure to add the cameras back into your custom modes. Test again.

Ryan5508
Aspirant
Aspirant
@jguerdat wrote:

FYI, it doesn't have to be WiFi that's an issue with interference - any 2.4GHz device can cause this.

I would remove at least one camera from Settings, My Devices and resync. Be sure to add the cameras back into your custom modes. Test again.

I have already performed this with all three cameras twice now. It did not help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The last resort is to remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Claim the base and then sync the cameras. If that doesn't do anything useful, open a case with support here.

Ryan5508
Aspirant
Aspirant

update-

All three cameras were fully charged and placed within 2 feet of the base station for a couple days. All stayed at 100% charged. All are also set to highest battery life and lowest motion decection.

Moved the cameras within the same room but to about 12 ft away. Two cameras are still working properly and maintaing battery. One has went straight to needs battery replaced within in one nights time. They are all facing the exact same spot in a low traffic hallway. It also did not record anything to warrent the battery loss.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Ryan5508,

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link below for you.

Arlo Tech Support

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation