Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AlaJam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm planning on an Arlo 2 Pro (two camera) purchase in the near future. I am not understanding connectivity. Does the base station have an antenna that connects directly to the camera? Can I connect my base station to a modem? Do I have to have a router? In other words, does the base station control the camera through a router? Just now I'm connecting to the internet through a hard wired ethernet cable modem. I'm hoping to keep it that way.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

If you are asking if you need a router between the base station and the cameras the answer is no. Both the base station and each camera have their own internal radios and antennas to communicate with each other.

Brian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

The base station must be physically connected to your modem/router with an ethernet cable as you have to be connected to the internet for the cameras to work. Then the cameras work wirelessly with no wiring necessary unless you want to keep the cameras powered up continually and for that a cable should be provided. I am not sure what you mean by a hardwired modem, but if you have no extra places in your modem to plug the ethernet cable into, possibly a range extender would work.

Brian

AlaJam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are you telling me I do not need a router? 

brh
Master
Master

Technically I am not sure of the difference between a modem and a modem/router. I'm sure someone more technically savvy than I am will answer this soon. I am simply saying that the base station does not work wirelessly, (except to communicate with the cameras),- it must be physically connected to something with the ethernet cable to have internet access.

I have a combination modem/router with several unused ports. The base station physically connects to one of those ports with the ethernet cable. The wireless range extender does wirelessly communicate with my modem/router. I simply plug it into the wall and connect the base station to it with an ethernet cable, (I have two base stations - one physically connected to my modem/router and the other one physically connected to my range extender).

It wouldn't hurt to mention the manufacturer and model number of your modem so that someone more familliar with them can help you.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

If you are asking if you need a router between the base station and the cameras the answer is no. Both the base station and each camera have their own internal radios and antennas to communicate with each other.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, the connection between the base and camera is a dedicated WiFi connection. That's why you can see the base's SSID when you do a WiFi scan. You have no access to that WiFi connection for security reasons. The base is essentially a stripped down router.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation