Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
coopgirl3424
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have a waterproof charging cord . My battery was low so I used it to charge the battery inside the house with no problems whatsoever. Took the same charging cord and the camera out to my shed and plugged in where another Arlo Pro 2 with a charging cord is working perfectly fine. I immediately got the charging fault error!!!! I have had this problem off and on before and got a new charging cable for outside. Like I said it charged fine with that cord in the house but now gives me a fault outside. What the heck is going on with this ? I have 10 cameras and some of them get a lot of activity that I really need to use an outside cord with them
9 REPLIES 9
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @coopgirl3424

Does this occur with any of your other cameras as well, or the camera that is currently by the shed?

coopgirl3424
Aspirant
Aspirant

So far it is only this camera.  This one is exposed to rain . I have another near it that is plugged into a waterproof cord also that has not had any problems at all.  Both plugged in at same place.

The cord worked inside and charged the battery - I figured good there should be no problem outside.  Went outside, mounted the camera and plugged in - immediate charge fault message. 

I have removed battery numerous times and reinstalled.  Battery will always recharge with waterproof cord or with original arlo charger.  As a last ditch effort I removed the camera from the system and reinstalled. 

Didn't get the charge fault but I didn't get the lightning bolt in the battery either.  I don't think anything has frustrated me as much as this.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@coopgirl3424

Is it possible that the electrical socket (outlet) you are using is faulty? have you tried plugging in to the same socket the other camera outside is plugged in to?

coopgirl3424
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I have tried numerous outlets.  Today the battery was dead so I took the battery from the one that charges outside and put it into the camera I am having trouble with. Both cameras working fine with the other cameras battery. 

Makes no sense - I can charge the camera inside with outdoor charging cable - no problem . Take it outside with same cable - plug in - charging fault.  Plug in the working cable from other camera - charging fault.

I am stumped

coopgirl3424
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since we haven’t had any rain I decided to try to plug the waterproof cord into the camera today - Got the charging fault again

What in the world is the problem?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not necessarily reseating the plug. If moisture has gotten in, you need to let it dry thoroughly before plugging back in.

And, to be clear, this is an Arlo-branded outdoor charger, right?

coopgirl3424
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it is an Arlo outdoor plug.  As a matter of fact - I reseated it this afternoon and it started to work.  Had rain tonight and now it isn’t working again.  So must be moisture problem - that plus is awfully tight so not sure how it is getting in

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible that the seal is damaged or deformed. A little dielectric grease on it may make it easier to seat as well as help keep moisture out. Is this to old VMA 4800 (which was recalled) or the new VMA4900 charger?

TrainguyATL
Initiate
Initiate

Had th emessage come up with charging fault. Followed clicking message . Rebooted base station. Nothing solved problem. Took camera and put on my desk for 30 minutes in A/C area. Had fan blowing on it as well. Outdoor humidy is at 76% today. After follwing these steps and closing back up and putting on charge it now will charge again. 

Humidy was low yesterday and chagred one of my cameras with no problem as I have on other ocasions. Seems to be a humidity issue. The unit was not moist on the inside of the battery compartment. Camera was working fine. Just needed charging. Hope this helps other users . Easy solution to try.  Good luck all. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation