Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
BlueGrits
Aspirant
Aspirant

Outdoor Camera Arlo Pro 2 Model VMC4030P

System of base station and 3 cameras (all bought as a single pkg)  installed a number of years ago.  I removed, charged and replaced the batteries. Two cameras worked right away, but the third has ben a problem.  I've tried restarting the base station and trying to sync, but only the other two batteries show up and the third won't sync no matter what.  I've tried removing the battery, replacing it with another battery, and trying to sync but no success.  (All tests done with the problematic camera next to the base station)

The red and blue lights will flash alternately so I can see the camera has power. Eventually the lights go out, but the camera never syncs.  I'm at a loss for what to do next and am wondering if there are any other approaches to try or to just write off the camera as unrecoverable. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I do not recall anyone who has been able to recover the camera from the update state, yes replacement would be the only option.

Make sure you can easily return any second hand cameras if you go down this track.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BlueGrits
Aspirant
Aspirant

"....but only the other two batteries show up and the third won't sync no matter what."

should read

"...but only the other two cameras show up and the third won't sync no matter what."

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Have you tried manually syncing the camera to the base? Short press the base sync button then short press the camera sync button.

BlueGrits
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried that several times, but the alternating blue/red lights remain.  I even tried some variations, trying holding each button different amounts of time.

I finally just left the camera in the blinking mode overnight and it only got me a dead battery.

Do you think maybe the camera has terminally failed?  I don't know what else to do.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It could be a faulty camera but weird it failed after a battery change.

The reset process for the pro2 camera is to pull the battery for 10sec.

Can you confirm that the camera will not sync if externally powered using the Arlo supplied charger?

BlueGrits
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera will not sync when externally powered using the Arlo supplied charger. I tried again using different batteries, with and without using the reset on the hub.  I do know someone with an Arlo system similar to mine so I'm going to have him try the camera and see what happens.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I note you mention earlier that the camera is displaying alternating red and blue lights, is this the same status led showing this condition continuously or is the status led just showing blue and the camera infrared LEDs flashing red Alternatively?

A flashing blue/amber status led indicates that the camera is locked in a update mode.

https://kb.arlo.com/642/What-do-the-different-LED-behaviors-on-my-Arlo-camera-mean 

Either way it suggests that the camera has an issue.

BlueGrits
Aspirant
Aspirant

The "all red" lights which form an upside down "U" come on and there's a single pinhole light that flashes alternately red/blue (although it might be orange/blue depending on my color perception). Nothing I've done in terms of changing batteries, sync from the camera alone, sync using the camera and base, etc. ever seems to let me escape this state.  Oh, eventually the "U" lights go off, but the alternating lights remain until the battery runs dry.

It would seem maybe the battery's terminal.

Fortunately, I'm seeming some local sales of used arlos so maybe I can pick up a deal.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I do not recall anyone who has been able to recover the camera from the update state, yes replacement would be the only option.

Make sure you can easily return any second hand cameras if you go down this track.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation