Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Camera wattage consumption

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
MG189
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is the wattage consumption for the Arlo pro 2 camera
5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MG189 wrote:
What is the wattage consumption for the Arlo pro 2 camera

Are you focused on the charging specs?  Or something else?

The charger is 5vt/1.8A and 9vt/1.1A (the latter being quickcharge).

MG189
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not really , I would be powering it with AC current . Without battery. Wanted to know what is the Wattage consumption so I can get it enough power. The 5v _2a is ok, but the power source I am getting is in Watts....so I wanted to know...thanks
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MG189 wrote:
Not really , I would be powering it with AC current . Without battery. Wanted to know what is the Wattage consumption so I can get it enough power. The 5v _2a is ok, but the power source I am getting is in Watts....so I wanted to know...thanks

The charger spec says it can deliver 9 watts at 5 volts (5x1.8), and 9.9 watts at 9 volts.  You can go over this, as this spec is the max that the power source can deliver.  You do want to compute it at the DC output, not the AC input.  

You do need to match the voltage.

If you ever want to charge a battery with this setup, you'll need 9 volts (quickcharge).  But the camera will happily run on 5 volts.

MG189
Aspirant
Aspirant
Makes sense , I appreciate ur responses and help.
Btw, I was asking a previous question regarding how to wire the Camera , through DC or USB or POE. And I figured it out. Thought I could share. What worked for me is this , either a POE injector or Switch in the beginning plugged into the wall socket, then a CAT 7 or 8 above 600MHZ or 2000MHZ respectively. Then a POE splitter at the end where the output can be managed either 5v, 9v or 12v...obviously I chose the 5v. And the splitter can deliver the DC output either to DC barrel short adapter to Micro USB or my own best choice to deliver the power out directly to micro USB to the camera , to.minimize power loss.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MG189 wrote:
Thought I could share. 

Thx.  FWIW, I think Cat 6 would also have worked - you are only delivering power, so you don't need a high cable bandwidth.

For others who want to try this - you also want to use the right grade of cable.  The Cat rating only specs the electrical characteristics of the cable.  There are other important aspects - how the insulation handles fire or weather are just as important.  If you are running this through walls, you'll want plenum or riser grade (depending on the details of the cable run and local regulations).  If you are running this outdoors, you'll want outdoor rated cable.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation