Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Camera randomly stops recording

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MillstheMan
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all, I currently have 3 X Arlo Pro 2 cameras placed at different areas of the home.  Recently, one of the camera's suddenly stopped detecting motion and would not record, however I could still connect to it and run live video, take a still shot etc.  The main difference with this camera is that I have it connected directly to a power source so I don't have to re-charge the battery every couple of months.  One key aspect I noticed was that when it stopped recording, the Arlo app was showing that the battery was draining, which shouldn't happen when connected to power.  So I decided to disconnect the power from the camera, with a battery status of 56%.  I removed the camera and took it inside and connected it to another power plug, but when reviewing the battery % from the app, it showed it to be at 92%.  There is now way the battery charged an extra 36% in 2 minutes.  What is also interesting is that when I removed the power source, the camera started detecting motion and was recording fine.  Now what is even more interesting is that I swapped cameras around a month ago as it exhibited the same behaviour, and that camera to date has been working flawlessly (disconnected from any power source and is in a different location of the house). So I have been able to confirm the same behaviour on 2 cameras when connected to a power source (I might try the third camera as well).  I believe the cameras might be to blame, and BTW that power source isn't exposed to direct water and the camera is sheltered.  I have re-connected the camera to its mounting spot without power and it seems to be working fine.  Very frustrating experience to date with Arlo.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Dannybear
Master
Master
Yes have had similar behaviour to date. This is down to the firmware of the base station. No doubt you will find more issues develop over time.

Regards the current camera issue, dropping the power to the camera can fix it for a while. You can also switch the camera off and on a few times remotely from the app to get it talking to the base again.
If you don’t want to wait for the next firmware release then get onto arlo support and get your base station replaced.
MillstheMan
Tutor
Tutor
Great thanks I'm thinking of replacing the base station.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I have a new base on the way and hopefully the firmware will be fixed by the time it arrives as I do not want the base to be damaged again.
johnboydavis
Apprentice
Apprentice

might be wrong but if the firmware is at fault changing the base station will make no difference. Hows the base station damaged. have same problem on 2 base stations

Dannybear
Master
Master
Because everyone has different issues. If it was as simple as fixing the firmware it would have already been resolved and everyone would be happier.
Arlo have no idea how to fix this but they know that they can’t revert to the previous firmware as it will cause more problems.
The reason the base is reverting time zones is because I suspect they have introduced a dog watch to restart the base when it runs amok. When the base runs amok it causes damage to the base. So arlo have little choice but to wait it out and see how many systems are affected. They tried this initially with the last update that they reverted.
So if you have two base stations are these exactly behaving the same way at the same time?
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation