Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
dannyb2100
Apprentice
Apprentice

So, back in March one of the cameras went offline for no reason and I had to get a roof ladder out to check it, only to remove the battery and put it back in (nothing was seemingly wrong with it) 

It has however gone offline again, none of the standard troubleshooting has sprung it back to life, so I guess I have to get the ladder out and repeat the previous steps. 

Has anyone else had this happen? Do you suspect something is wrong with the camera?

The previous topic for reference

131 REPLIES 131
cardr03
Star
Star

Same thing here.  I've had to re-set mine every month just to get them to come back on-line!

This is ridiculous!!!  We bought these cameras so that we wouldn't have to touch them until the batteries went dead!

What's ARLO going to do to fix this.

Like you said none of the troubleshooting works.  The only thing to bring it back on-line is to take the battery out of it!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unknown as to issue, but if I were you I would swap the camera with one of your others and see if the issue follows the camera... this helps narrow down the problem.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
daytonagal1
Star
Star

Here we go again.  Mine are constantly going offline now.  I am sick of this.

dannyb2100
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'll replace the camera with one of the more accessible ones in the house to see if it works, helps narrow the troubleshooting. (and aids in accessibility) 

cardr03
Star
Star

For mine they all do it usually at the same time.  Once I pull the battery and replace it all is back again.

This has to be some kind of software issue I would think...

We need some help with this Arlo!!!

entilza
Star
Star

Hi,

For the past week, my 3 original model Arlo cameras are being reported by the app as "Offline" every day. I checked their batteries, however, the batteries are fine (I actually replaced all 12 batts this week to be sure). To be clear, I have 3 cameras in total, all original models.

The cameras appear to go offline around 8 or 9 am daily, though sometimes its in the early hours of the morning. But connectivity to the base station is fine.

This is where it gets weird - the resolution method changes from day to day:

Some days restarting the base station has no effect and restarting the cameras by opening the batt hatch will be required.

Other days power cycling the base station is all that is needed.

I tried "forgetting" one camera and re-pairing it with the system - it still drops out with the rest.

I saw a post about firmware issues with low temps and incorrect batt readings from 2 years ago, but this appears to be resolved. We've been having temps around 10C (50F) with a significant wind chill.

I have not had this issue before

3 x original Arlo "3030" cameras. Camera firmware: 1.3.314

1 x original "3000" base station. Base station firmware: 1.12.2.1_2798

Anyone with any bright ideas? 🙂

Ent

Streak2
Master Master
Master

It looks like you have tried all of the suggested fixes.

Last one would be to remove all the cameras from the app, factory reset the base and re-install.

cardr03
Star
Star

Here we go again!  

I was up for 1 day and now offline again!!

What's Arlo going to do about this.  You going to buy my cameras back.  This is unacceptable!

We need a fix now!

Dannybear
Master
Master
If you want to do something while waiting for the same thing again tomorrow, give the arlo support team a call and have them open a case number. Ignore what they say but follow their instructions to get the case number. Then wait a few weeks for the case to be reviewed and eventually get a follow up email to respond back with.
Just be aware it can take a few more weeks for your reply to be added into your case file or you can use the fault portal link in the email to update the file directly.
Then expect the usual cut and paste reply every week that wants you to power cycle the base station.
Sorry if this does not help.
RobnNc
Tutor
Tutor
My cameras and pro base station also goes down intermittent for the last three weeks. I know it's not my internet/connection from problem solving, everything else works fine. I believe the problem lies within Arlo itself either the firmware or servers. I've tried numerous times rebooting and such with no happy ending when they go down. I've also lost important video of the day's events..packages and such arriving. I've become pretty annoyed that I've read others having same issues with no fix yet.
entilza
Star
Star

There does appear to be an issue with the base stations at the moment:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Base-station-Is-offline-message-VMB4000/m-p/1699898

via

https://www.reddit.com/r/arlo/comments/bwhcit/is_anyone_elses_arlo_base_offline/

But I'm not sure if my issue is base station related - it appears to be running but reporting all cameras are offline. This may be a camera issue, or it may appear to be a camera issue but caused by the base station. As I said for my scenario, reseating the batts seems to fix it (mostly) but sometimes the base station needs to be bounced instead.

I'll try the reset option IF it doesn't improve in the next day or 2. Obviously I want to avoid the work if its not actually my gear at fault.

Ent

entilza
Star
Star

UPDATE: After working all day, all 3 of my cameras went offline seemingly simultaniously (though never when I am looking).

I rebooted the base station, and all 3 cameras popped up with a "new firmware available" message.

So I have upgraded them from 1.3.314 to 1.3.319. I will report back how things go.

Ent,

RobnNc
Tutor
Tutor
How did the firmware update do for you?
madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

I have one camera that goes offline consistently. Like when I start the app it is about an 80% chance it is offline. Power cycling the base station sometimes fixes it, sometimes I have to open the battery door. Sometimes it just works without any intervention.

I thought it was perhaps having connectivity issues, so I moved it from it's previous location (about 40 feet from the base) and it is now about 10 feet away. No improvement.

It is weird enough to make me question everything Arlo, between geofencing, the recent video resolution issues and this one camera that has been doing this for months.

mbphx
Guide
Guide

Two cameras still going on and offline by themselves with no interaction. 

Secutity cameras that don’t work aren’t helping security. Fix the firmware already. Or rollback the firmware. And turn off auto update.

You’ve basically bricked 2 of my cameras.screenshot attached is my new normal. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Remove the camera from Settings, MyDevices and resync. If still bad, it may be a bad camera. In that case, open a case with support for an RMA:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

entilza
Star
Star
So far it's gone well. Its 7am and it would normally be offline by now, but all 3 are on.

Still too early to call it though - we're not even 12 hours yet. I'll give it a few days.

Did any other "original" Arlo owners get a new camera firmware?

E NJ t
RobnNc
Tutor
Tutor
Surprisingly mine has been up all day so far also. Hopefully it will continue and no random Pacific time zone change.
Streak2
Master Master
Master

I did last week. After the update that camera went offline and needed a battery pull and refit to get  re-connected.

adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

https://www.cybersecurity-insiders.com/arlo-security-cameras-suffer-outage-worldwide/

Arlo is a piece of **bleep**.. My base station got completly removed on Jun 3rd as it appears. So many dam issues with these guys. 

mbphx
Guide
Guide
My pixelation issue has been fixed by the camera firmware update pushed out yesterday.

But 2 cameras still dropping. Maybe because they got updated? Resynced.

Wait and see mode.
mbphx
Guide
Guide
Didn’t have to wait long. One camera dropped out already. Lasted 10 minutes?
daytonagal1
Star
Star

This is getting to be BS.  Cameras go offline.  Time zone keeps changing, and now the sensitivity settings don’t stay where I want it.  Everyday it’s something.  What good is the security system if it does not work.  If it wasn’t for the fact I have had the cameras as long as I have, I would return them and tell Arlo to shove them up there ass! 

mbphx
Guide
Guide
And now camera 2 is offline. Lasted 20 minutes.