Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
replemished
Follower
Follower

The batteries were never great, possibly the cold here in Scotland at this time of year, but certainly not below freezing. The one in our garden (Arlo Pro 2 camera) has now started draining exceptionally fast. I even bought a spare battery and that one does the same, so something is triggering it to drain.

I thought they do not record unless there is a heat signature in the view for detection. i.e. a spinning kids windmill wouldn't trigger as this would be a cold signature, and the same for any other movements. There have been very few actual recordings showing up in my feed, so how can it be draining? Does it record constantly even though not pushing me anything but 'person' alerts?

There has been quite a bit of wind movement where it is mounted also. Thoughts appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a reset of the camera ( pull battery and replace )

if NG, then I would remove the camera and bring back to rebuild the modes and settings ( remove device )

Also a power button reboot of the base unit.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a reset of the camera ( pull battery and replace )

if NG, then I would remove the camera and bring back to rebuild the modes and settings ( remove device )

Also a power button reboot of the base unit.

Morse is faster than texting!
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@replemished wrote:

The batteries were never great, possibly the cold here in Scotland at this time of year, but certainly not below freezing. The one in our garden (Arlo Pro 2 camera) has now started draining exceptionally fast. I even bought a spare battery and that one does the same, so something is triggering it to drain.

I thought they do not record unless there is a heat signature in the view for detection. i.e. a spinning kids windmill wouldn't trigger as this would be a cold signature, and the same for any other movements. There have been very few actual recordings showing up in my feed, so how can it be draining? Does it record constantly even though not pushing me anything but 'person' alerts?

There has been quite a bit of wind movement where it is mounted also. Thoughts appreciated.

Also check the signal level between the camera and the base unit.  If the camera is straining to communicate or if the base unit is unreachable, the camera will burn batteries quickly.  I recently had a base unit go offline and the batteries on the associated cameras drained quickly.

My cameras are exposed to sub-zero temps (F) in New England.  My Pro 2 camera batteries are not too bad in those environments, but the original Arlo cameras appear to drain batteries quickly at -5° F or below.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation