Arlo Pro 2 Base station and cameras

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jkmurray61
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Starlink Internet. My service is great and very strong. Everything in my house works great with Starlink. However my Arlo Pro 2 camera system keeps losing contact/connection with the base station. I have to delate everything and re-set up the whole system. Meaning removing the cameras from there location's and re sync them with the base station. I have had to do this three times now and the last time it lost connection in less than 24 hours. The Arlo system/base station is wired directly with a cable to Starlink system so the connection between the two devices is strong. I have tried different cables and base stations with no success.  Is there maybe a tab in either system to disable or enable for the Arlo system to work properly with the Starlink system?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with their Arlo Pro 2 and Starlink system as I am. If so, have you figured out a how to fix this issue so my system doesn't lose its connections in the future.

Thank you. 

10 REPLIES 10
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What Base station are you using? Or hub?

is the base located close to the starlink wifi or do you have a seperate wifi router? The base should be at least 6-10ft away from a wifi router.

jkmurray61
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, Thanks for replying back. I am currently not at home so I cannot tell you which base station I have. The starlink wifi and the Arlo base station are inches apart. The ethernet cord I had to purchase from starlink would not allow the two stations to be that far apart. Maybe two feet apart at best. I dont have a separate router other than the starlink one. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Has it always been flaky or something that has just started?

If you have the original base say a VMB4000 with three LEDs on the front do they show abnormal indications, usually all green.

Separating the wifi equipment with a longer Ethernet cable would be a good place to start.

jkmurray61
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, its the VMB4000 with the three LEDs in the front. No, its never been flaky its always worked great until I switched internet service to Starlink. Yes its always green in front until it losses its internet service. Once that happens the middle light displays no light at all. 

I will separate the router and base station as best I can. Thank you.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The additional information pointing to the internet led going off suggests a starlink router related issue, some users have experienced this and use their own router to bypass the issue. 

Edit: there is also mentioned that using a Ethernet crossover cable helps.

jkmurray61
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I just returned home after 24 hours and while I was away the base station lost connection. So this time all I did was unplug the starlink system turning it all off for about 30 seconds. Once I plugged it back in the Arlo base station immediately found the connection and its back working. Plus I did as you stated, I moved the Arlo base station away from the Starlink router as far as the ethernet cord would allow which is approximately five and a half feet apart. 

I will see if this separation helps plus I will look in my computer stuff which I have acquired over the years to see if I have a longer ethernet cords. If so I will place the base station as far away as I can. 

Thank you for your help.. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

Edit: there is also mentioned that using a Ethernet crossover cable helps.

If you need a crossover cable, then the connection wouldn't be intermittent - it would never show on-line status.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@StephenB ,

agreed if we are talking about known quality routers.

If the starlink router is auto switching the port polarity under a fault condition after 24hrs the base would loose the internet led until the base gets reset then  operation restores again until the starlink router switches cable polarity again.

changing to a crossover cable to force the opposite polarity may enable the base station to remain connected as pointed out by other users who have stated success in doing this.

Hopefully @jkmurray61 will have some insight.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

changing to a crossover cable to force the opposite polarity may enable the base station to remain connected as pointed out by other users who have stated success in doing this.

Personally I think a better strategy for this scenario is to put an inexpensive gigabit switch between the router and the base. Slightly more expensive, but avoids any chance of mixing up the crossover cable with your standard cables.  Plus the switch has more utility post-troubleshooting.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation