Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
CsDot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bought an Arlo Pro 2 four-camera kit today.  Impressed by the build quality but the base station drops internet connectivity very regularly.  It drops every 15-20 minutes and then reconnects.  It's plugged directly into my router (I'm on gigabit fibre and the internet connection from the router is rock-solid.  I've proved this by running simultaneous tests from multiple devices around the house at the same time).

Considering this is happening within the first hour of me trying this out, I'm seriously disappointed.

Anything I can do to fix this?  Firmware appears to be the latest version.

Note that I selected the VMB3000 as the model in the forum post it was all that was available - however, my base station reports itself as VMB4000r3 firmware 1.12.0.1_27940.  When you can't even select the correct model in the support forum, it's not a great start...

[UPDATE]

This _ONLY_ happens when I'm running the iOS app on my phone.  the connection was rock solid for over 10 minutes while I was using the web client, but then as soon as I started the iOS app (iPhone connected to my wifi network) the base station instantly lost connectivity.

There is something completely screwed about the iOS app, it seems.  I'll re-try using a 4G connection and see what happens.

[UPDATE 2]

The base station is currently offline but I can still ping it on my local network, so it's not getting kicked from the network, it's just unable to get any form of connection the Netgear services.  The base station is now so confused that the 'internet' light on it is not lit at all - but it's connected to my router as I can see it in my router's device list and I can also ping it. - the router port that it's physically plugged into is sending / receiving traffic too.

[UPDATE 3]

The base station has now recovered its internet connection ( i just waited - after about 3 minutes it had reconnected).  I'm using the web client so I'll try and cut over to the iOS app again but this time using a 4G connection on my phone...  and this seems to work fine.  So, I'll cut back to the web client and then back to iOS app using wifi... and,strangely this works fine this time.

Seems really random.  I'll wait an hour and see if it drops again...

I can see myself losing hours of my life trying to sort this out - but can I really trust this setup with the security of my property?

6 REPLIES 6
CsDot
Aspirant
Aspirant

One more update - Base Station lost the internet connection again about 10 minutes after my last post.

Completely and utterly unreliable.  Which is pretty much the opposite of what you want in this space.  It's going back to the store tomorrow...  Hopeless.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted your router? If it's the app having a problem, try a different device to load the app on.

It's also possible that the base is bad and swapping at the store will get you a good one.

CsDot
Aspirant
Aspirant

An update on how this has turned out...

Rebooting the router had no effect.  Checked the router firmware, all up to date.

Decided to try another router that I had on hand - completely fine.  Switched back to the other router, still unreliable.

So, it was the router (or something to do with how the router and the Arlo co-exist) but it's all reliable now.  The old router was a Huawei model - it's now been 'retired'!

It's very interesting that I never had any issues with the Huawei from any other device but had these issues instantly with the Arlo.  So, if you're running into internet connectivity drops with your Arlo base station then it may, just may, be your router.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Thanks for the update, it could be a settings issue in the router. Someone here has mentioned that VPNs can cause delayed issues too.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think it was the Chinese government spying on you...  🙂

CsDot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply - on the old Huawei there was no VPN in place, no QoS settings specified, just straight-through as far as the Arlo was concerned.

Anyway, the old router has gone to a better place now...

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation