Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 - Activity Zones not "Saving"

Discussion stats
tedman
Tutor
Tutor

I set up a brand new Arlo Pro 2 setup with two cameras this week and everything works great, except the Activity Zone.  Each time I try to create an activity zone (attempted 6 times) the zone won't save.  The camera is plugged into power, it allows me to select a zone, but when I hit the "Save" button, nothing saves.

I read in this community that the Activity Zone were disabled as recently as Feb 2018.  Is that still the case?  Not sure what else to try.  I don't believe I need to upgrade to CVR to use Activity Zones.

Thx

Ted

66 REPLIES 66
Biscuiteater
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you sir. Hope this gets resolved soon. I'm not so sure it's an app issue as I have have tried to set up zones using the MY ARLO on the Arlo website to no avail. But I'll keep my fingers crossed.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Biscuiteater wrote:

Thank you sir. Hope this gets resolved soon. I'm not so sure it's an app issue as I have have tried to set up zones using the MY ARLO on the Arlo website to no avail. But I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I believe the issue is with the NETGEAR servers.  Nothing you can do about it.  NETGEAR is aware and working on it, so it should be resolved soon.

Marioarlo
Tutor
Tutor

brh
Master
Master

@Marioarlo

Arlo knows about this problem and a solution is being worked on.

Brian

Marioarlo
Tutor
Tutor
👌
PrivacyWizard
Initiate
Initiate
Having the same issues, and just upgraded to the Arlo Pro 2 today specifically for the CVR & zoning features. I want to be notified when this is fixed!
botski
Initiate
Initiate

How do you know that they (Arlo) know as there's been no announcement here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Announcements/bd-p/arlo-announcements.

I'd rather read it from their own announcement than contact support via chat or call them.

botski

NINJER
Tutor
Tutor

This is why we need a local system that does not rely on online services, if one thing fails, it all fails.

Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
Last time they screwed up audio recording and CVR it took 4 months to release a fix.

Thanks Netgear for ruining Arlo again
steeveaustine
Aspirant
Aspirant
Always not working, inter error 2131166381
mrbenl
Apprentice
Apprentice

NINJER,

Agreed, but unfortunatly it seems the cheap or easier way to go with these companies now, as I can attest to with my Amazon Echo which unfortunatly is set up simeraly, the main access along with all of the other app tie in's, Wemo, Hue, Wink, for the other devices and services are thru web pages and the worst was the Echo Connect, which requires a cell phone to set up because it has to suck your contacts list from it, no other access possible...! I was totally appaled at that one. I would love a simple excutable I could install on my PC and just talk to all these devices directly since everything is already on the same home network but alass, I will not be holding my breath on that, or the fix coming soon... Thanks alot Netgear...!

NINJER
Tutor
Tutor

Very true, we're paying for ease of use.

If you set up a proper security CCTV system if won't be compatible with these services.

However I find it really sad we buy a camera off them, we can't even have it record continuously without paying them.
I understand paying for cloud storage, but no free local storage? If they had that option they would lose a lot of money I guess as a lot of people would deffinitly set that up. 

They also have not fix auto detect, it always records a 7 second clip, so now i have adjusted it to always records 120 secs. Even though the "automated" setting can allow for up to 300 secs of recording, what a joke netgear.

Not to mention they also sold a "weatherproof power cable" that wasn't weatherproof and had to recall it, with no other alternatives other than their overpriced gaudy looking solar panel. 

botski
Initiate
Initiate

It is also strange that with the mobile app (Android) I see the zones that I have created previously. Now with the desktop browser (Chrome) the zones are not visible. But the zones seem to be working which is of course good!

It seems that Arlo can't sync the settings somehow. The previously created zones are there and do work, but users can't create / update them.

It would be nice if Arlo support staff would comment something about this issue. 

botski

bscardin
Star
Star

I'm having the same problem.

4 days later now ... have you heard anything new?   This is quite annoying.  I recently added an Arlo Pro 2 along with an Arlo Pro and and Arlo Q.  I would very much like to get activitiy zones working on my Pro 2 and Q.  They were working fine on the Q for quite some time.

BastienAustin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I love Arlo so far but if they give us a local system where we can plug our own DVRs how are they gonna do their "Bait and Switch", turning all the free features into paying ones when the user base is big enough? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix was released recently that may require you to recreate your existing zones. Take a look here for more information: ActivityZones already Exist error message   Try recreating your activity zones and let us know if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did anyone test this with an actual piece of hardware? The app lets me create a zone, but it doesn't work! I am trying to test pixel detection through a window, created a zone, (yes my pro2 camera is plugged in), created a rule in my active mode, and then moved around in front of the camera. Nothing!
The sole reason I have a pro2 is for Pixel detection through a window, because motion detection with PIR on a pro cam won't work. I've had my camera a week and couldn't create a zone to test. I can finally create a zone and it's absolutely useless! Please help!
Thanks!
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

I'm guessing that Netgear have made a change in the cloud because I am able to create and change activity zones again now. 

Not sure if anyone else has tried, but mine works from my iOS app and web browser. 

ACENGO
Aspirant
Aspirant

the activity zones is allowing us to save but it is not triggering the alert or saving the videos.

ACENGO
Aspirant
Aspirant

are you able to get triggers from the activity zone you created and videos are saved other than the basic notifications you usually get without the activity zones?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Activity zones are working for me just fine
Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do you know your activity zone is working (pixel deltection) vs Passive IR? My pro 2 can't detect me through a window. Neither can an Arlo Pro (1st Gen, which doesn't have pixel detection). Pixel detection should have enabled that.
I'm just asking if you are certain your zone is working, or it could be the passive IR working (which doesn't require a zone). To test the latter, remove the zone and see if it still detects or not.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
The reason why I know it's working .just because I have the camera on the front of my garage and I've created a Zone on my driveway. If the Zone wasn't working it would be picking up the cars driving down the road and it's not ,,it's just picking up the car pulling in the driveway
tedman
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, everything appears to working fine now.
Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
If the street is more than ~20' away, the passive IR would not detect them, but would detect anything (your car) that is within range. I suspect it is your PIR setting off detection, not the zone. To validate this, set a zone in the street and see if the cars driving by set it off. If they don't, then zones are in fact not working and the pixel detection I paid a premium for in an Arlo Pro 2 is not a real feature (given the current software/firmware misconfiguration bungles).