Arlo Android App Black Screen Live View + Browser Version Never Worked

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
noobtwd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all, I have had my $1,200 Arlo Pro 2 for 2 weeks now and quite disappointed after finding out the web version never allowed me to stay logged in. I get a glimpse of 2 secs "device" page and it kicked me out. I have used Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Chrome Canary and none worked. even after updating to latest flash I also had to click "Login" multiple times before it will log me in just to kick me out again. I have cleared my cookies manually and also installed CCleaner to clean everything I can clean off my browsing history, and tried every single day and different computer and none worked. Just getting really tired of this system now. To make things worse, the Android app now shows blank/black screen. I can only hear sound at the moment. Motion will still trigger recording but I just can't get live view to work at the moment. Appreciate if anyone experienced any of this before and kindly suggest work around this. Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
cryoxdsl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello I'm having the same problem. I have a black screen on one of my 3 cameras in Live View mode. Regarding the connection problem this only happens with the Google Chrome browser. On my side I did not have any other problems with my camera setup that I bought about 1 year ago. Any a suggestions ?

slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

If I have issues with any device I do a hard reset. I would remove all devices from your account including the Base Station. I would then do a Hard Reset on the Base Station. Once you have 2 green Lights on the base station indicating it is powered up and has an internet connection I would then open up the Arlo app or go to the web site and login. Next Add the Base Station and once that is done add the cameras. I did this to my Arlo system just yesterday and all is running smoth again.
Not that this is specifically related to you but I also formated my computer and did a clean install of Win10 just a week ago just to make sure there is no junk in my computer that could be interfearing with windows 10 normal operation.
If the above does not resolve the issues I would contact support.

Side Note: I tend to do Hard Resets on devices when there is a firmware update, it's just an old school thing I still do.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
noobtwd
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I managed to get web version working. It was due to Kaspersky heavily blocking arlo..

App wise, I have iOS app tested out on the black screen on liveview too. Turns out only Android app is affected for Huawei and Samsung devices I tried on. Nearly every time it would either stay buffering, or a black screen just shows up after liveview is ready, and I could only hear sound.

The buffering issue occured the most during my further testing and even after pausing and back to live view again will not do the trick. I know internet well and I install IT equipment for small businesses so nothing to do with my internet as iOS app liveview works fine except occassional hiccups.

I have done hard reset of the base station twice, re-sync cameras twice with that.. Also set up QoS on my Netgear R7000 for Arlo base station port at 25Mbps uplink. None worked to help the buffering or black screen issue.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @noobtwd,

We recently got a new app update for both Android and iOS. Try to update your iOS/Android app to see if that fixes the issue. You can read more about the updates here:

noobtwd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Jessica.

I have updated to the latest app 2 days ago on my Android and iOS devices and heavily testing it to date.

On iOS when it's working, it very often shows a "still" liveview screen as all the moving objects isn't showing any movements. I can still hear the "live" sound of the when it occurred. On the other hand when it's not working, it sits as "connecting" for up to a minute until I fed up and keep log out then log in again. Prior to updating the 2.6.0 version I brought my iOS alongside my android phone when I left the house as it worked nearly perfect. Seems like iOS app has been downgraded.

On Android, the black screen occurence has lessen down quite alot. To get rid of the black liveview screen, I have to pause and play for about 3 times before a liveview can be shown. I can still hear any ongoing sounds/conversation when it's in black screen mode. Only a few times (very rare) the "still" view case happened in Android. However, the "connecting" issue is new to Android app.

When all these issues occurred at home/office, I immediately log out/close the android/ios app and tested it from my desktop (Chrome, Firefox & Opera) and it worked flawlessly and connects within 3-7 seconds with no black/still screen or "connecting".

Android devices affected are Samsung Galaxy S8 (latest firmware & security patch), Huawei Mate 10 Pro (latest firmware), and iPhone 7 (iOS 12).

Thanks Jessica.

Pyrohazord
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey guys I had this exact issue with the black screen.

I read the App Update log that a user had posted previously.

It stated we have to reconfirm email address.

Go-to (Three dots, top right of screen(

Press Settings

Update your email

Confirm a new email.

This fixed the issue for me.
noobtwd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Pyrohazard ! Does that mean I have to have a new email? Or I just type in the password and type in my existing email with Netgear?

Pyrohazord
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nevermind it stopped working again,

This is quite frustrating.

Are your cameras plugged in to the power supply?

*Edit*
My only camera currently plugged into the Arlo Pro Outdoor Power Adapter is the one having trouble with the black screen.
noobtwd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Strangely, my cameras experiencing black screen at the moment are plugged in to power supply too !

Pyrohazord
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine worked again, it seems to be a 50/50 Hit or miss kinda deal, I'm going to say it may have something to do with the power supply.
Ceanag
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same black screen issue with my one powered camera on the android app (latest version).

Also cannot  live view the same powered camera  on shared devices (all with latest app update)  unless i am logged in and viewing live on my PC at the same time ???

Also at times getting session timeouts for live view after 10-15 mins...again powered camera only.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try to reinstall your app. Also try to toggle "device on" off and on and see if that helps. If it doesn't, contact our Arlo Support Team so they can further assist you. Click here to contact them.

noobtwd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Jessica,

I have reinstalled the app (Android) and that did not help. I noticed it was an 11mb update released yesterday and I tried 4 times > an hour apart till this morning, then reinstalled again this morning. Immediately after reinstalling and logged in to try, black screen was the first that showed up. Toggle on off trick I've tried and it takes a few times to get it to work.

I confirm that the black screen only happens to camera with power supply (for 3 secs lookback feature) hooked on to the outdoor charger. Another camera without power supply works 100% of the time with LiveView.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation