Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
RetiredInFL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just set up a 3 camera Arlo Pro 2 system replacing a pair of IP cams.  Can't figure out why I an unable to continuously monitor my camera or cameras which are all plugged-in (not on battery) on a dedicated PC in live mode..  Seems I get around 10 minutes or so before it times out of live mode..  How can it be a "security camera" if you can monitor an area like a small parking lot or back room watching for problems for more than 10 minutes at a time.  I'm not looking for continuous recording just to be able to see what's going on without having to click the mouse every 10 minutes.  The PC is only used for monitoring.

18 REPLIES 18
RetiredInFL
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seems I can't edit my first post after posting.

Anyway, I have discovered there are TWO DIFFERENT timeouts.

FIrst is a "Live View" timeout of about 10 minutes with the web app

Second the entire web app on my PC times out (logs me out) after around 30 minutes.

The live-view timeout is an annoyance, the auto-logout, that's pretty lousy.  Guess I should have stuck with my streaming IP cams.  I'm kicking myself for throwing out all the packaging before I fully tested.

brh
Master
Master

@RetiredInFL

To the best of my knowledge these Arlo cameras were not designed for continuous viewing and were designed to be used in conjunction with IP cameras, not as a replacement for them. I know you did not want to hear that. I have both types of systems at home.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As above, these are not 24/7 cameras...designed as " motion detect , then record " as many run on batteries

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
RetiredInFL
Aspirant
Aspirant

@brh wrote:

@RetiredInFL

To the best of my knowledge these Arlo cameras were not designed for continuous viewing and were designed to be used in conjunction with IP cameras, not as a replacement for them. I know you did not want to hear that. I have both types of systems at home.

Brian

Obviously not ......  😞    Unfortunaly the lack of continuous VIEWING isn't mentioned anywhere.  When I read it can do CONTINUOUS RECORDING (for a fee) I mistakenly ASSumed it couldat least monitor full time. 

My bad for not doing my due dillegence.

RetiredInFL
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to resolve the automatic log-out from the the web app issue by using an "autorefresh" add-on for my web browser.  It refreshes the page every 10 minutes.  Unfortunaly I see no way to keep "live-view" running.  Auto-refresh doesn't help that.it just shuts down the live-view when it refreshes the page.  Maybe there is some app that will automaticlly mouse click on "live view".

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I use Arlo cameras for notifications, geofencing and flexible rules as well as the battery and solar options.  I use other IP cameras for local recording and local full time viewing.  The combination works well for me.

MisterEdF
Guide
Guide

@AncientGeek wrote:

I use Arlo cameras for notifications, geofencing and flexible rules as well as the battery and solar options.  I use other IP cameras for local recording and local full time viewing.  The combination works well for me.

(Ooops. seems like I logged in under one of my other device accounts)

Well, I don't want to spend the $$$ for multiple systems when I only need 2 cameras.  Anyway, Yea, well, my system is heading back to Amazon ..... too bad because they had a great 1-day promo.  I got all excited because I figured out a way to do full-time live monitoring (using a mouse click app) on my PC  but then no longer got any notifications (another weird "feature" of their system - notifications stop when/if anyone is watching live view) .  Bottom line is I have a couple Nest Cam Outdoor cameras on the way.  IMO a very poor (lack of) feature set for ARLO PRO2

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Good luck.  I don’t recall how my NestCams behave in this same situation.  I can’t say they will or won’t work as you desire.  I like the Nest IQ Outdoor best between their two Outdoor camera offerings.

RetiredInFL
Aspirant
Aspirant

They do it all.  Continuous live monitoring &

@AncientGeek wrote:

Good luck.  I don’t recall how my NestCams behave in this same situation.  I can’t say they will or won’t work as you desire.  I like the Nest IQ Outdoor best between their two Outdoor camera offerings.

They do it all.  Continuous live monitoring as well as notifications while monitoring.  While I really didn't need it I ordered the IQ. The cheaper one has all the same functions but some slight spec differences for 1/2 the price.  I would have really liked Arlo to work though.

Anyone looking for 24/7 live MONITORING (but no notifcations) with Arlo on a PC I used a small app called "Super Mouse Auto Clicker" I found on a Google search.  Works great but no notification will be triggered when activity is sen.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

The IQ has a better mount IMHO.  The original is magnetic only.  Also the IQ has a long, one piece USB-C power cable whereas the original has a two piece power cable I didn’t like as much.

RetiredInFL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yea, I agree which was why I ordered the IQ.  I really didn't need all that for my needs but I figured I'd go for it.

ThenC
Aspirant
Aspirant

My system has the same timed out problem with Live View. It happens randomly not 30 minutes. I have searched the blogs and it looks like there is no solution to this. I understand the idea of timing out for battery preservation but we, the customers should be given that control just like the selection of video quality. This and the lack of function to snap pics at some pre-determined time interval makes this product un-user friendly.

b1o3o
Apprentice
Apprentice
Consider yourself lucky that you got to return your Arlo. I’m stuck with this thing.
Kimarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have you received your Nest Cam? What do you think of it? I don’t know much and haven’t had the time to research yet.
I’m considering on returning my arlo pro 2 due to unable to live view and while it suppose to record at the same time. Unsure whether to waste more time with this thing atm!
Kimarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, what is IP? How have you set this up so that you’re making the most out of the cameras?
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Kimarlo wrote:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, what is IP? How have you set this up so that you’re making the most out of the cameras?

IP stands for Internet Protocol (in this case).  Also in this case, I'm refering to cameras that use network protocols typically over WiFI or Twisted Pair network cables rather than the old analog Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) technologies.  Most modern camera systems are IP cameras, though CCTV camera systems are still sold and installed for some situations and when price is the #1 driving factor.  IP cameras are typically higher resolution and have many more features,

brh
Master
Master

I don't know anything about Nest cams, but somr time back I purchased two EZVIZ Mini O cameras new for $35 each and put them inside pointing out a couple of windows. They have the ability to stream live 24/7 and can detect motion through the window, record both locally and for a fee have cloud storage. I do get too many false notifications as I live on a busy street, but they are great for live streaming.

Brian

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Kimarlo wrote:
Have you received your Nest Cam? What do you think of it? I don’t know much and haven’t had the time to research yet.
I’m considering on returning my arlo pro 2 due to unable to live view and while it suppose to record at the same time. Unsure whether to waste more time with this thing atm!

It is a good idea to do some basic research to see what is available, then do a good needs assessment so you know what you really want and need in your system.  All camera systems have strengths and weaknesses.  The goal is to buy a system that is strong where you need it and has a reasonable future as a system, so you don't get dead ended.  If you use a cloud based system, you rely on that vendor staying in business and supporting the model you purchased.  If they decide to drop it or go under, your system may be useless.  Systems that do local recording and don't require connection to the supplier to operate likely could survive for a while after end-of-life by the vendor.  Active surveillance (people watching monitors) usually requires different strengths than our typical consumer systems which are designed to be unattended.

I use a combination of Axis, Nest and Arlo cameras to leverage the strengths of each system and eliminate single points of failure.  The cloud servers for one system can go down and the other will keep going.  The Internet can go down and the local recording system will keep recording.  (Arlo will record to USB if set up for it).  If the local recorder gets stolen, the clound systems will still have recordings.  If you need a camera where wires are impractical, Arlo (and others) has you covered.  Wired is best when you can do it.  Continuous with motion alerts and motion tagging on the video stream is best, but creates a lot of video data, so cloud recording consumes a lot of bandwidhth...and you can't do it on batteries.  Read and learn...from vendors and from review sites.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation