Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 2 Distance between base station and camera and extender

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Marcus_T
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Anyone that could confirm maximum distanace between the base station and camera?

I currently have Arlo Q and suffering from weak wifi signal due to think concrete walls.

Further, is there soem form of externder available?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, a Q camera doesn't use a base.

WiFi connections are rated for up to 300 feet in a perfect world. Reality bites and real world distance varies wildly for various reasons.

What Arlo cameras/systems do you have - just a Q or a mixture?  An extender can be useful but how it would be used varies according to what's being used.  A Q can easily be extended using a WiFi extender since it uses your own WiFi to connect while a base station can use it to allow placement away from the router.

Marcus_T
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
Yes, the Q doesn’t have a base, I’m running two Qs on WiFi.

I’m considering an extension of the camera network by adding Pro2, however, based on the experience from using the Qs and that I have a signal range issue with the WiFi (distance is only 6-7 meters straight, however through concrete walls so I’m forced to use WiFi extender), I’m concerned in investing in pro 2 if I will face similar issues?!?!
Hence my question related to signal range and extender related to Pro 2.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use a WiFi or powerline extender to reposition the base so the cameras get the best possible signal. The base requires an Ethernet connection so either an extender with an Ethernet port or a long cable will be needed. If truly problematic, multiple bases could be used.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation