Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 2 Covering 10000 Sq feet house

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
GriMmiE
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi There,

Im having a problem here and maybe someone can assist me. Im trying to use arlo 2 to cover my house area and wondering if its possible and how can i do this?

From what i read the camera can go as far as 300 feet from the base in any direction.

Initially i thought it could be detected through the range of the wifi from my router which i have hooked up with orbi with 4 satellites.

My Question
How can i put arlo 2 wireless cameras all over my compound? can i use multiple base stations for each section of my house? or whats the best way to approach this?

Any ideas or ways to tackle this would be kindly appreciated

Regards
Grim
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only way at this time to expand coverage area is with multi bases.... there is no limit to the number of bases allowed ( just the number of cameras on your service level ).

Orbi makes this easy as you can add a base to the main unit and also to the satellites ( where needed )( running Orbi here too )

Only downside for some ( not for me ) is the fact that each base unit really is it's own system in that each one  has to be armed/disarmed separately ( tho the cameras all appear in the same program )

I actually find this better as I group my bases to front / back of home ...this allows both areas to have different schedules,etc....I can turn off back when kids are out but still leaves front active

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only way at this time to expand coverage area is with multi bases.... there is no limit to the number of bases allowed ( just the number of cameras on your service level ).

Orbi makes this easy as you can add a base to the main unit and also to the satellites ( where needed )( running Orbi here too )

Only downside for some ( not for me ) is the fact that each base unit really is it's own system in that each one  has to be armed/disarmed separately ( tho the cameras all appear in the same program )

I actually find this better as I group my bases to front / back of home ...this allows both areas to have different schedules,etc....I can turn off back when kids are out but still leaves front active

GriMmiE
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the answer. Thats what i needed to know. thought it was based on my wifi range and found out it was based on the arlo base unit, wasnt sure if i could add multiple base units under the same account.
Thanks hopefully my experience wont waste me more $$$$ attempting something that in the end didnt work 🙂

Grim
DocJon
Aspirant
Aspirant

This raises a question for me.

Can separate cameras, each linked to a different base station be motion activated and record simultaneously?

Thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@DocJon wrote:

This raises a question for me.

Can separate cameras, each linked to a different base station be motion activated and record simultaneously?

Thanks

A camera can only be linked to one base at a time.... Each base can support a max of 5 cam streaming at the same time. ( or record )

If I understand yr question correctly, yes... 

but understand a camera on base A can not start a cam on base B to record. Each base is really it's own system

DocJon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, you did understand my question.

My need is to have a camera on each of two different base stations so that they can operate independently of each other and can record even though the other is already recording. I don't want or need one to be able to activate the other.

if I subscribe to a Smart Plan can I assume that each base station would require its own subsription?

Thanks much!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DocJon,

Arlo Smart is account/camera specific. For example, if you purchase the Arlo Smart Premier subscription plan, up to 10 cameras on that account will receive Arlo Smart (regardless of the base station they are synced to).

JamesC

DocJon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks much.

JF

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation