Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Are magnetic mounts safe for outdoor use for Arlo Pro 2?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
surik
Tutor
Tutor

Just bought an Arlo Pro 2. I wonder if the magnetic mounts are safe for outdoor use? It will be positioned quite high so it will be difficult for someone to reach it without a ladder, but so am wondering if I need to buy the external security mount. Any thoughts will be welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@surik wrote:
Just bought an Arlo Pro 2. I wonder if the magnetic mounts are safe for outdoor use?

If by safe you mean will the camera stay in place and not fall off the mount, I have had two Pro 2s on magnetic mounts for months with no failures.

Remember, wherever you put them you will have to be able to get at the cameras to recharge the batteries, unless you plan to add solar panels or the permanent power supply that brings added features.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
surik
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks Michael. Yes, I mean whether the camera will stay in place. Having said that, I am also thinking about the ease of someone just walking away with it given I will use it outdoors and wondering if the security mount will make it a little bit safer from that perspective too.

brh
Master
Master

@surik 

My concern with the magnetic mounts is that a person with a long stick could easily knock the cameras off their mounts. With the security mount they would not be able to do that although they could possibly damage the camera, but that would require quite a bit more force.

Brian

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

None of the Arlo camera mounts are vandal resistant.  The magnetic mounts are the least resistant for sure.  The trade off is convenience versus security of the equipment.  The screw mounts are somewhat more secure, because they require the vandal to spend a few moments unscrewing the camera versus just grabbing it and running off.  

In the end, it is up to each of us to decide what level of protection our equipment requires for the our own locations.  I have not had any problems in the three years that I’ve owned Arlo equipment, but I live in a fairly rural area.  If you know your location is prone to theft, you should consider a camera system that is rated for vandal resistance.

Personally, I’d recommend the screw mounts unless the cameras are mounted under the eaves and sheltered from strong winds.  I have had cameras knocked to the ground by fallen limbs off nearby trees.  I’d love to be able to purchase the new mounts offered with the Ultra.  The new plastic mounts for the Pro and Pro 2 hold the camera well, but a thief can just twist the base a quarter turn and run off with the camera and most of the mount also.  Also, the standard magnetic mounts have a somewhat limited range of motion.  The taller pedestal ball mount gives a greater range of motion, but still only offers magnetic camera attachment.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@AncientGeek sums up the position pretty well.

You are not restricted to Netgear fittings for cameras. It uses a standard camera tripod thread.

I have one of these:

41NBEfHGulL

There are also mounts with a chain, although I have no idea how they work in practice.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation