Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Amplifying WiFi Signal on Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
steve1102
Star
Star
Hi, I hooked up my new Arlo Pro 2 system yesterday and noticed the WiFi signal strength on the cameras in front of the house seems weaker than those elsewhere.

My router/modem is towards the rear of my home and physically it can’t be relocated since it is where the cable wiring into my home comes in from the outside and the base station has to stay there too because it’s physically connected to it.

My question is, is it possible to connect a WiFi booster/amplifier to the base station so the signal to the cameras can be stronger?

The base has Ethernet ports so I wondered if this was possible? Anyone try doing something like this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dannybear
Master
Master
I could be wrong but there is no method to boost the base station wifi signal.

If you have an existing wifi router modem you can use a wifi extender with an Ethernet port to locate the base closer to the front camera but you risk lower signal to your other cameras.

Firstly, you should consider how weak the wifi is on the camera, the camera will work as low as a single bar indicator but that will depend on interference about.

You can check interference by using a wifi signal scanner and look at the wifi channels about. If you have existing wifi modem on your network then the base wifi will match the channel used. You can move your local wifi modem channel to the quietest channel and the base will follow.
Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dannybear
Master
Master
I could be wrong but there is no method to boost the base station wifi signal.

If you have an existing wifi router modem you can use a wifi extender with an Ethernet port to locate the base closer to the front camera but you risk lower signal to your other cameras.

Firstly, you should consider how weak the wifi is on the camera, the camera will work as low as a single bar indicator but that will depend on interference about.

You can check interference by using a wifi signal scanner and look at the wifi channels about. If you have existing wifi modem on your network then the base wifi will match the channel used. You can move your local wifi modem channel to the quietest channel and the base will follow.
Hope this helps.
steve1102
Star
Star

Thank you for replying and for your help on this question. Glad to know the camera will still work ok with less than three bars. The one I’m concerned about is showing two bars so I think I’m ok.  I may try your suggestion and see if it makes any difference in signal strength. I don’t want to jeopardize the other cameras signals like you mentioned. Thanks again! Steve

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation